mint or post mint

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by wokeupscreamin, Jan 29, 2010.

1. wokeupscreamin

wokeupscreamin Junior Member

Found this. What are your thoughts.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CashDude

CashDude Member

I say post mint.

It looks like vice marks on the reverse.

It also looks more like it was a complete coin that was flattened, rather than clipped.

4. der_meister77

der_meister77 Senior Member

Looking at just the obverse I say there is a chance that it could have happened in the mint. Once I saw the file marks/scratches on the reverse I switched my vote over to post-mint damage.

5. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Post Mint, notice how straight the clip is plus the rest of the damage...

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Looks like damage was done post mint! Scratch marks prove it!!

7. wokeupscreamin

wokeupscreamin Junior Member

here are my thoughts. The scratch marks seem to be unrelated to the clip due to their orientation. If they were parallel i would agree. They cant be vice marks cause then they would also be on the obverse as a vice has two jaws. Even if one jaw had a cover, to make that mark on the reverse, it would atleast leave marks on the rim of the front. Is it possible that due to the clipped planchet it got stuck in a machine causing a jam and making those marks? Also, I've cut alot of metal in my life and I dont know of any tool or saw that would make such a clean cut. It has no teeth marks, grind marks, ect and is a super clean cut. There is no warping to the coin and the top of the r and s are still intact. The redbook says clips can be straight and the coin is the same thickness through out so it isnt flattened. If you think this is post mint, please come up with a scenario that would support your claim. Im interested.

8. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Post mint. If it were a clip, it should almost bevel toward the clip and the lettering should taper into it. Unless I am cross-eyed, yours has a lip there. That could only come from something scraping/pushing the edge in.

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Pictures aren't the greatest but I'm thinking it is real.

10. mikediamond

mikediamond Coin Collector

It's an obvious fake. There's no metal flow, no Blakesley effect, and there is a line of wear along the staight edge. This indicates the edge was slightly elevated, which is impossible in a genuine straight clip.

11. foundinrolls

foundinrolls Roll Searching Enthusiast

It's BOGUS. It was probably done with a grinding wheel hence all the scrapes on the reverse.

Thanks,
    Bill

Draft saved Draft deleted