Mint Offering Intentional Error?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Randy Abercrombie, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Sounds about right but U gave up stamp collecting when they switched to self adhesive stamps. They took the fun out of collecting.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Yeah, it was much more fun licking stamps with glue that had rat droppings and dead cockroaches in the mix.

Chris:yuck::vomit:

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Retch, Gag..……..Furball…………………..

BuffaloHunter and paddyman98 like this.
  5. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

It might stimulate collectors if it was released with the regular circulation coins like they did the W quarters, but DON'T announce it ahead of time. Let one die "slip through" quality control, and then just wait for the collecting public to discover it. Then publicize the "discovery". This is what happened with the 55 DDO, the 72 DDO, the 95 DDO, the 83 DDR, the 84 DDO etc. But it would have to be something more dramatic than the doubled dies currently being created by the single squeeze hubbing. It has to be obvious enough that the non-collectors can see and understand it.

6. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

MAD magazine (R.I.P. MAD and Dag) piled onto the fiasco by 'issuing' its own commemorative stamp::

qtIsUCY.jpg

In the same vein, maybe the Mint could re-issue the 1955 DDO cent in 95% copper with a shield reverse to make it an 'official error/variety' - future value would depend on mintage :rolleyes:

7. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If you create something with the intention that it be collectible,
    it never is.

8. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

You mean my legends of NASCAR plate collection..... Is worthless????? Oh the horror!

juris klavins likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

I never licked stamps Chris. I just used a sponge to wet the stamp. And for my collection, all stamps needed to have perfect glue. Even a popped glue bubble was a no no. All of my stamps were mint, never hinged, perfectly centered, perfect perfect and glue. I was meticulous. :)

10. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

And what happens when busy little hands try to foist off these replicas as the real thing? Let that sleeping hound keep snoring.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Good point. I was trying to keep my mind occupied this morning. After I posted this it occurred to me that this is exactly what the Chinese are doing now. Bad post. My apologies.

Santinidollar likes this.
  12. Collecting Nut

Not a bad post just a good thought with good intentions that you hadn't thought through before asking. Now you know. ;):)

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Amen.

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Died in African plane crash when I was a kid......what does the former Secretary General of the UN have to do with this thread? I think meow has been playing in the Catnip too long.

15. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They won't do that , not as much fun and a lot of repercussions. With CNC machines why not have the mint put all the billionaires club members portraits on coins ( for a price, say 20,000,000 real dollars each) on perhaps on a dime, and on the reverse, put "No Sense". Real Money!! Jim

16. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

An error is an unintended variation attributable to the manufacture of the coin. A variety is an unintended variation attributable to the manufacture of the coin die. A type is an intended variation/change. Well that is my rule of thumb. My thought is the Mint couldn't produce the coin as suggested by the OP absent of legislative directive.

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

No

18. Cheech9712

I like the way you think

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Cheech9712

20. Cheech9712

Awesome idea. I'm in