MInt Mart Looks Backwards

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Inspector43, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

It appears that the mint mark on this (SIS++) is stamped backwards. Perhaps it is a Barbaric Imitation. SIS++  Backwards Obv.jpg SIS++  Backwards Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Yup, barbarous copy. There are a lot of barbarous VLPP types, ranging from official-looking to comically bad. Yours is about in the middle.

4. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Judging from traces including the C at 9 0'clock on your coin and 3 on mine, the whole reverse is backwards. Admittedly the garbled letters are hard to be sure of in either direction.
    official
    rv4860b01555lg.jpg

not official and also reverse retrograde (see VICT running counterclockwise from lower right
    rv5170bb2381.jpg

5. Inspector43

Thanks everyone.

6. Inspector43

Thanks for the help. This one seems to be the same issue. It looks like IMI and backwards. Hate to bother you guys, but I am still a virtual beginner. IMI Backwards OBV.jpg IMI Backwards REV.jpg

7. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

This post reminds me of an Aurelian I recently got - I think the "S" is a backwards "Z" - or else this is unlisted? I dunno.

Aurelian - Ant. ORIENS Lot Feb 2020 (0).jpg

Aurelian Æ Antoninianus
    (270-275 A.D.)
    Rome Mint

AVRELIANVS AVG, radiate, cuirassed bust rt. / ORIENS AVG, Sol walking left, holding globe and raising right hand, foot on one of two bound captives, S (retrograde Z?) XXI in exergue.
    RIC V 62 ? (see note).
    (3.99 grams / 21 mm)

Attribution Note:

RIC 62 (Rome Mint) has many varieties of exergual marks, but not SXXI. Could this S be a retrograde Z? ZXXI is a listed type.

Ticinum mint has similar mark but has "C" in obverse legend; see RIC 154.

Inspector43, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Since Z is the Greek numeral for 7 and S is 6, it would seem likely that the S was just a workshop that did not always make this type. To be really significant, I would expect the coin to be more clear on that letter. To show that a new item is in fact new, you need to be sure that the reading was intentional from the mint and not a feature of wear and tear.

Inspector43 and Marsyas Mike like this.
  9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Yes, that one is also barbarous. Which doesn't make them junk, though. They can actually tell us a lot about the political and economic conditions at the time. One interesting question is why that particular type was so widely copied. We don't see nearly as many barbarous copies of the SOLI INVICTO type, which preceded this, or of the BEATA TRANQUILLATAS reverse, which followed it. What caused this particular reverse type to be so widely imitated?
    [​IMG]
    Constantine I ("the Great")
    Ticinum mint, A.D. 316
    RIC 45.
    Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    Rev: SOLI INVI-C-TO COMITI - Sol, saising right hand, holding globe in left.
    PT is exergue; cross in left field, star in right.
    19 mm, 3.9 g.

[​IMG]
    Treveri (Trier) mint, A.D. 322
    RIC 341
    Obv: CONSTAN-TINVS AVG
    Rev: BEATA TRAN-QVILLITAS - Globe on altar inscribed VO/TIS/XX; 3 stars above
    STR[dot] in exergue
    19 mm, 3.3 g.

10. Marsyas Mike

Marsyas Mike Well-Known Member

Thanks Doug, I appreciate the help. The Greek numeral aspect of things did not occur to me - unfamiliarity at the mint sounds like a very plausible explanation.

This coin has some patina/crud issues in the area of the mintmark which make it even hard to photograph. I think the remnants of an old museum/collector's number might be in this area as well.

Here are some efforts at enhancement - I am pretty sure it is a Z or backwards S.

Aurelian - Ant. ORIENS Lot Feb 2020 (0 det).jpg

Aurelian - Ant. ORIENS Lot Feb 2020 (0 det enhance).jpg

11. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

I have one with particularly bad artistry (and not well-preserved, either).

Constantine barbarous imitation.jpg
    Era of Constantine, 4th Century AD.
    Barbarous imitation of Roman Æ centenionalis, 3.07 g, 18.0 mm, 11 h.
    Obv: Nonsensical legend, head wearing crested helmet, right.
    Rev: Nonsensical legend, imitation of two Victories reverse type of AD 319-320.
    Refs: cf. RCV 16288 ff.

12. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Here my barbarous example:

[​IMG]
    Imitative coin of AE3 Constantine I, VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP / Two Victories holding shield surmounted on altar.

Draft saved Draft deleted