Mint Marks on Presidential Dollars

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Myron, Mar 26, 2007.

1. Myron

Myron Senior Member

I wasted my time and think I finally found the "P" mint mark on the new dollar coins. Why they put it there is beyond me. It will be a nuisance after being placed into coin albums. What was the US Mint thinking? They evidently care little about collectors.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Myron,the edge is the most logical place to put the mintmark without it dominating the design on either the obverse or reverse.The edge of the Presidential Dollars is actually the 3rd. face of the coin.

Aidan.

4. Anergetic

Anergetic New Member

If you place the Presidential Dollar into a staple/adhesive coin holder that is made for the half dollar, you will be able to see and read the edge lettering just fine.

5. Ugaman72

Ugaman72 New Member

The mint mark and other writing was placed on the edge BECAUSE many collectors urged them to. They thought it would hearken back to the old days of coinage when a lot of our nations first coins had lettering on the edge. No matter how great/bad a coin looks, the mint will never please everyone. I agree with you, I don't like the edge lettering, either. So, I'm not collecting them. No need to complain, there's plenty of things that I personally love to collect.

6. satootoko

satootoko Retired

and even more importantly, because Congress ordered them to!

Draft saved Draft deleted