Mint Marks on Indian Head Penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Halcyon 2015, May 12, 2015.

1. Halcyon 2015

Halcyon 2015 New Member

Did the Indian Head Penny have a mint mark or were they all minted in Philly? If they had mint marks, where on the coin would it be. I have a few and none have mint marks, and that seemed kind of odd to me.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Only the 1909-s and 1908-S have MM. All the rest were from Philly. The 1909-S is rare and the 1908-S is uncommon. Here is the S;
    [​IMG]

HoosierDaddy likes this.
  4. Halcyon 2015

Halcyon 2015 New Member

Thank You. They all seem to be from Philly. There is not a hint of a mint mark on them.

5. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Up until 1908 all "minor" coinage was minted exclusively at the Philly Mint. There was a law that prevented the branch mints from striking them until 1905. It took nearly 3 years for the San Francisco Mint to start production of the Cent. So you will not find any Mint Marks on Indian Heads except for the '08 and '09. For clarification "Minor" coinage is any coins not containing precious metals. So Half Cent's, Cent's, Two Cent's and Three Cent's Cupro Nickel and Nickels fell into this category.

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

That immediately heads off my question about the 1851-O Three Cent Silver. :)

Oldhoopster likes this.
  7. loopytoad74

loopytoad74 Active Member

All those hours ive been trying to find mintmarks on coins that didnt have them..Hmm.i think research..I also think loopy is a bit of a tit.[emoji15]

8. Sonja Minor

Sonja Minor New Member

I have a 1901 with a mint mark. Is it a mistake

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you actually have a 1901 indian head cent with a mintmark it would have to be a counterfeit. A "mistake" is basically impossible. In 1901 there were only three mints Philadelphia, San Francisco, and New Orleans. ALL of the dies were made in Philadelphia and they had NEVER shipped cent dies to either San Francisco or New Orleans. There would have been absolutely no reason to have ever put any mintmark on a cent die at that time.

jtlee321 likes this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Please post a picture! If it is a cent or nickel from 1901 then it won't have a mint mark. Dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars from 1901 can have mint marks. Welcome to coin talk!

11. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

My favorite coin!

12. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

The Chinese have made a number of nonexistent date and mint mark combinations in the Morgan Dollar series. It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that they have combined an “S” mint marked fake die with something other than a fake 1908 or 1909 die.

Draft saved Draft deleted