Mint mark over Mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ragu, Nov 14, 2021.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Not all of them,proofs for cents started at the Philadelphia mint aka no mint mark.The first proofs made at the sanfransisco mint(S)started in 1968.Your 1972 cent can't be a proof since it was not minted at the Frisco(normal bu business strike)I don't use gloves at all and suggest simple hand holding as the best option.

Stevearino likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Thanks , I got it...is this a coin that would be kept from those who collect coins ?

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

You guys are really nice to help out the "Outlaw." Don't discourage him. There is a lesson for him to learn and those "rare" coins the TPGS's get help pay the light bills.

PS There have got to be more of those coins out there sitting in jars. If I were the director of the Mint, I'd strike a couple of hundred mules, off metal, and "unknown-until-discovered" pieces and keep them in my safe. Then every so often I would circulate one of each to turn all of us unto CRH! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::p

Kentucky, ZoidMeister and Stevearino like this.
  5. potty dollar 1878

Yes,i like to keep any bright shiny bu copper cents i find:):)don't forget to check for doubled dies.(1972)Is one of the major years but yours isn't the big one,still plenty of others for that date.

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Is this you making a joke of me ?

7. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

@Ragu

Go buy a copy of A Guide Book of United States Coins, also called the redbook. Its a yearly pricing guide but is also filled with a tremendous amount of information. When I was a kid, I was always paging through my copy. It will be the best $15 you ever spent on the hobby.

BTW: proofs were made in Philly until 1964. No proof sets from 65-67. Starting in 1968, proof coins have an S mintmark. You could find that info in the Redbook in a few minutes. All of the info is in one place, so you don't have to waste time sorting through websites, refining search words etc.

upload_2021-11-28_9-10-3.png

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

@Ragu
    If you are talking about this, I wouldn't say it is making fun, but rather a good piece of advice.
    You tube, get rich quick books have all contributed to their bottom line. New collectors who haven't ever studied coins send them "so called rarity's" all the time. They gladly grade the coins and send them back. Most of the coins have no business being in a slab at all, they were nothing more than an expensive education. To top it off you get zero feedback from them as to why it graded what it did.

Lesson learned : you just spent a bunch of money for nothing.

Stick around here for a while. You may not get the answers you were looking for or like. But you will get an education and it is free.

Stevearino likes this.
  9. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Ragu, this has been an interesting thread. Listen especially to @Oldhoopster and @paddyman98. These two have been at it for a long time and you can take their advice to the bank, so to speak.

Thanks for hanging in here at CT. Honestly, there is no better place to learn. And as for the recommendation of the "Red Book," you can find used copies at far less than the asking price of a new issue. Your copy doesn't have to be new. Having said that, the information is priceless.

Your photos are better. Experiment with lighting, too. Sometimes I use natural daylight, other times incandescent lighting.

Steve

10. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Awesome. I will try different was to make things clear when It come to taking better pictures. Ragu

11. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

There was one comment I did not get , all good. I will move to say, I'm unsure if I'm becoming part of family and the interest of the next grammor error Im going to put out or the next crazy question I may ask , or I'm the person that will try to take in as much as I can. I enjoy the feedback and now I can see there are some laughs behind some of this. I will do my part not to dismiss whatever wisdom you all want to share with me and grow with your knowledge.

Kentucky, l.cutler and Stevearino like this.
  12. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

What would cause something like this ?

13. potty dollar 1878

Probably a million different things,just a damaged common nickel(still 5 cents).

14. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

He's just playing y'all.

Got no life and this is his entertainment.

His grammar, or lack thereof, changes with who he is responding to and time of day.

I'm sure he's seen the FULL SIZE images button but refuses to use it just to appear ignorant. Or maybe not . . .

Z

15. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

This Nickel is so nice. 1958 and it looks like nobody had Handeled it. With full steps...I like this one also.Ragu

16. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Obvious Damaged. Not a mint error of any kind.

17. paddyman98

No. Not full steps. Not at all.
    Obvious hits on different areas of the steps.
    Circulation damage.

18. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I apologize. I thought it was the nickel with the full steps ..I ment not to give wrong information. Ragu

Kentucky likes this.
  19. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I get up at 1am for work and I am going to get ready to lay down...I am not someone who is playing anyone. This is funny that you are watching my grammmer and time of day. I am not here to trick anyone. If you all feel this way as this person does , I will leave . I have no issue finding my way and reading the books you all talked about. And for the perone who is giving me negativity, I really don't care what you think of me as If you don't want to help me and think I'm trying to hurt or play your coin friends you are wrong about me. Ragu

20. paddyman98

Some advice.. This thread you started has become too long. You know you can start another separate thread showing your different coins.

21. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What is your area?

Draft saved Draft deleted