Mint mark over Mint mark

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ragu, Nov 14, 2021.

1. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Is there a different chat this group has and I am left off of. I have to be on candid chat , instead of candid camera. Ragu

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

The flashy area next to the D looks like die deterioration. Clad coinage is very well known for this because. The dies are prone to extreme die wear because of how hard the clad nickel composition is.
    Die deterioration causes devices, letters, numbers etc to be distorted and not hold their original form.

4. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Now we are getting someplace. I will read up on some of this as you are giving me some direction , Pryor to my coins coming back. Thanks Ragu

5. Pickin and Grinin

Matte is a process that the dies and planchets go thru before the strike happens. It is not the color, every coin once struck begins to tone or color. This is oxidation of the metal. So if you are only looking at the color then that changes things. Copper especially, can have brilliant toning of purples reds greens blues yellows white etc.
    Matte is a finish.

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

@Ragu

The unasked question:

How / through whom did you send in the coins you claim are currently at PCGS?

My understanding is that one needs to be a member to submit items for certification.

Z

7. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

8. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

Then the so called matte is an error ? Then how is the 1909 and different then the one I have ? I will take another picture. The 1909 is it smooth or is the finish rough ? I will use the can method to stabilize the camera. Ragu

9. Pickin and Grinin

Not an error matte happens in the die preperation process.
    Your 2013 cent was never made with type of specially prepped dies and planchets. We need to see what the surfaces look like on your coins. They need to be clear and not pixelated. Magnifying your coins before uploading them will distort the pixels.
    Get as close to the coin as you can without it being blurry then focus and snap the photo.

10. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I hope the pictures of this coin will give you the opportunity to see what I see. Ragu

11. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

We all see how clear the picture is for this coin and how nice it is. The 2013 coin I have to me looks like the same finish. It is definitely different as in the texture from others that I have, there is no smoothness to this coin. Ragu

Attached Files:

12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

That's what i call the zilincoln effect aka plating issues looks like plating blisters,still a cent and its not a matte or anything special.

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I didn't think I now have to post my membership information from PCGS. I don't understand why I am getting down played and need attention from people I don't even know. I am sorry to thoes that have been collecting for years and have been looking for coins that maybe I have by some crazy beginner's luck. I promise not to be selfish. Ragu..PS I have the spitting error horse and as will as many other. So please I'm just trying to learn and for those that are helping me Thanks. Ragu

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    Stevearino likes this.
  14. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

OK. Thanks for the feed back. I will keep it as it looks very nice .I will not send it in fir grading. Thanks for the direction. Ragu

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Better edit your post before the mods see it.You can only offer to sell coins in the for-sale forum and the spitting horse is nothing but a simple die crack,even in BU condition really only a few bucks.

16. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I was just making a point ,And thank you. Ragu

Kentucky likes this.
  17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin has environmental damage. The copper plating is only 8 microns (0.0003 inches) thick. Once the surface is breached the underlying zinc can start to corrode (similar to rust bubbling up the paint on a scratched fender)

Your coin looks like it was exposed to a weak acid or other environmental corrosive giving it that mushy, washed out appearance. It was not struck like that that, nor did it leave the mint in that condition.

Keep studying the minting process. There are only certain things things that can occur during the minting process but there's an almost unlimited number of ways for a coin to be damaged after it leaves the mint. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it's an error.

Regardless of what caused the damage, it is very easy to determine it's not a matte finish. Why? As others have said, the matte finish was made using specially prepared dies and planchets. If the mint didn't make any matte finished cents in 2013, where did they get the die to strike your coin? Pretty much a no brainer.

Everybody would love to tell you that you found something good. The problem is, nothing you posted is an error. The more you keep doubling down on "but it looks like something" even if it was impossible to occur at the mint, the more you're going to alienate the people that are willing to take the time and help you learn. Remember, you're not asking the guy at the end of the bar, who had a friend that collected coins in Jr high school. You're getting answers from people who have decades of experience in numismatics. @paddyman98 for example, has been collecting errors for over 35 years! But maybe you are the luckiest new collector and all of the responses are wrong. Just something to consider.

Stevearino and enamel7 like this.
  18. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

19. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I think this coin is something you don't see every day. I like this also. Ragu

Attached Files:

20. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Honestly.. That's actually another damaged Cent.
    Somebody pressed it to alter it.
    I have seen coins like that many times.

Stevearino and Oldhoopster like this.
  21. Ragu

Ragu Active Member

I have a question ? I was talk to a friend and he said , this is a proof coin because it has a mirror like finish. I thought a coin that has the mirror like finish has to have an S mint Mark and is touched with white gloves. Ragu

Draft saved Draft deleted