mint error

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Dixie Umstead, Feb 26, 2017.

1. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

I have a 1888 or 1898 Indian penny with the edges raised on both sides almost looks like a button , the coin is in great shape what would this be worth? 1488158983782-1786377633.jpg 1488159077643-1423568417.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it has been "spooned".

Chris

spirityoda likes this.
  4. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is not an error coin.
    The edges were hit with an object to flatten it. So it is damaged.
    Worth 1 Cent and nothing more

6. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

no the edges are rounded I was told by someone who collects coins that it in fact is a error but had no clue what this would be worth so I figured I would post it.

7. paddyman98

The person is wrong. That is not a Mint Error. If you understood the minting process and how errors are formed then you would know that can't occur. Trust me, I have been collecting Mint Errors for 30+ years

8. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

What is the cents diameter compared to another. I do believe that your collector friend is wrong, it looks like it has been spooned.

Ordinary Fool likes this.
  9. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Spooned coin, or a similar type of damage. People with much time, such as inmates tap the edge of a coin with a spoon repeatedly for weeks or months. After the coin flattens out, they pierce the center, smooth it and, wa-laaa! A ring!

10. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

I did ask that question and was told that it's very rare to come across one like this but in fact it's not man made , please understand I'm new to all this that's why I'm asking. I have ask several collectors that have seen it in person ,they tell me the same thing and when I tell them or rather suggest that is it possible that this was done by a person ? I sent a picture and was told that it was, there response is you really can't see this in a picture ,you need to really look at it in person that's how rare this type is that's why I'm confused

11. paddyman98

So then. We did our best. You are not going to get a different answer from any of us. It is damaged and that's all. You will be better off just leaving this forum because we don't lie.

12. paddyman98

Here are some examples of Spooned or Hammered Edge Damaged coins
    sdime.JPG 1892 Indian penny - small size mint error 1_zpsapk4vacx.jpg 1992DDimea.jpg Coins.jpg DSC_2447.jpg

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  13. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

please that is not what I was implying I'm sorry if that's the way I made it sound, I was just passing along what was said to me, maybe this was something new. thank you for the info you gave me.

paddyman98 likes this.
  14. Dixie Umstead

Dixie Umstead New Member

this is what the Indian penny looks like

Attached Files:

15. paddyman98

Yes that is what a Die Cap looks like. But your Indian Cent is not a Die Cap... It's intentionally damaged

16. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

Picken and Grinin is trying to help you by extending you the only shred of hope you would remotely have to establish it hasn't been spooned. Even if it hasn't, it possibly could have been built up and filed down smooth by any number of skilled kindred craftsmen.... or women. I know some really talented gal jewelers too!

I'll even go this far, on a good day, I can still tig tiny micro beads of just about any metal that is weldable, including copper. The tiniest aluminum bead most skilled metal melters can do are huge by comparison to those that they can lay in or on stainless, TI, steel, copper etc........ just something to think about and yes that could be done with minimal heat affected zone leaving behind any additional damage to the coin.

Have anyone with a pair of calipers measure the diameter of it in several areas. IF it has been altered or damaged, it's diameter will be smaller than known spec. To that end, I doubt it is a some newly discovered and very unlikely error, but, I personally, wouldn't emphatically state that it isn't without knowing the exact dimensions.

The other guys emphatically asserting this have tons more experience with these coins that I do and I give them credit for understanding the methods used and the astronomical odds that your coin isn't what they are telling you.

Also, many people who own calipers lack the skill or knowledge to accurately measure a round object with them, much less from various data points to determine how "round" a circle is.

paddyman98 likes this.
  17. Ordinary Fool

It is hard to deny those being fine works of craftsmanship. I don't know if they have any value at this time, but, one day they should be appreciated. But, what do I know? I'm crazy enough to think it is possible that in our life-times, coins and paper money we use today will be just trinkets people reminiscently collect, intrinsic value or otherwise. I'm certain there are powerful forces actively working to that end.

The numismatic sees DAMAGE, the kindred artist sees beauty and hours of skilled application adding value to an item that would have very little value otherwise. Assuming none of those were done with coins that were valuable prior.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  18. Ordinary Fool

Watch face similar to the thin Corum watch whose face is an actual gold coin. Yeah, I'd machine a larger silver, gold, copper or nickel coin for that purpose although that nice Indian Head wouldn't quite be large enough even for a smallish unisex watch.

EDM a nice coin into a front and back even.......super clean and easy to work.

That is where your market for coins like this would be, or a jewlery store, or art gallery.

http://www.chrono24.com/corum/coin-watch--mod1323.htm

vintage classics from the 50's, with case style shown in the third version down the left column, fetch large money

the others I believe are modern spin-offs

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted