Mint Error Monday ! Post yours Please .

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SensibleSal66, Nov 29, 2021.

1. CoinJockey73

CoinJockey73 Well-Known Member

20211119_043905.jpg 20211119_043921.jpg
    This happened while the gum was still soft, and that little grabber thingy zigged when it should have zagged. We did the provenance on it, it's all there.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Ummm.. I don't think so :meh:

:hilarious:

Inspector43 and CoinJockey73 like this.
  4. CoinJockey73

I don't know man, i did use the word "provenance". I'm waiting for @SensibleSal66 to reply to a single one of these posts. It's nice to see you're paying attention.

5. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Massive split plate doubling on this zincoln, no idea if there's other errors on it or not maybe a greaser?..., or what caused so much of it. Just an example piece.
    20190728_IMG_2019-07-28_22-35-07-1-ccfopt.jpg 20190728_IMG_2019-07-28_22-35-55-1-ccfopt.jpg

then, my biggest rim cud find so far. 2016 Harpers Ferry
    20191006_IMG_2019-10-06_00-34-35-ccfopt.jpg 20191006_IMG_2019-10-06_00-34-45-ccfopt.jpg

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

7. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

8. Millard

Millard Coindog

1937 D Lincoln wheat cent. There appears to be a blemish or two on the obverse but upon closer inspection is easy to see there is some foreign object imbedded into the planchet on the obverse just below the RT in liberty.
    1937 D imbedded obv.jpg 1937 D imbedded rev.jpg 1937 wheat inbedded.jpg

9. potty dollar 1878

Looks like a spot to me just like the other's on the coin.

10. Millard

Millard Coindog

spots don't normally have edges/rims. this "spot" has a noticeable edge to it.

Cliff Reuter likes this.
  11. potty dollar 1878

12. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

The mint considered it an error, that is why they cancelled it. If the mint said it was an error who am I to argue?

Cliff Reuter and john65999 like this.
  13. paddyman98

I think they consider it not up to standard for some reason. So they take the whole batch and cancel them. You never see a slabbed cancelled coin called a Mint Error.

https://www.error-ref.com/?s=Waffled

Quote - "Definition: Coins and planchets which are found to be unacceptable by Mint standards will be canceled in a machine that crushes the disc and imparts a waffled pattern. These coins are sent to outside contractors to be recycled. Since there is little or no attempt to restrict access to these demolished coins, many have made their way into the marketplace." Closed quote

Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Amberlarry22 likes this.
  14. 1stSgt22

1stSgt22 I'm just me!

Here is my split planchet!

WIN_20210528_15_04_41_Pro.jpg WIN_20210528_15_04_54_Pro.jpg WIN_20210528_15_27_50_Pro.jpg

15. Millard

Millard Coindog

got this waffled LMC coin roll hunting. 1991 D waffled edge view.jpg 1991 D waffled obv.jpg 1991 D waffled rev.jpg

16. Millard

Millard Coindog

My most favorite coin roll find. It was late at night and I noticed the last 1 in the date was weak. I laid it aside. picked it up, lay it back down...several times. Wasn't till the next morning I 1991 LMC no motto obv.jpg 1991 LMC no motto rev.jpg realized it didn't have IN GOD WE TRUST.

17. paddyman98

That looks intentionally altered to me IMHO

18. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

OK, you win it is not an error. Stupid me for posting it in a thread about errors. Guess I will have to hang my head in shame all week, while being ostracized by society.

John Burgess likes this.
  19. paddyman98

I don't want to ever ostracize anybody. You shouldn't be so harsh on yourself. What I'm trying to avoid is newbies thinking they should now go and pay ridiculous amounts of money on cancelled coins because they read this thread and now think they are mint errors. I've seen way too many of those mint altered coins selling for ridiculous amounts of money. That's horrible and sad.
    Peace my friend.

Cliff Reuter and CoinJockey73 like this.
  20. CoinJockey73

You know i like you @paddyman98, but another example of how you're a "jerk".
    You never said any of this, "What I'm trying to avoid is newbies thinking they should now go and pay ridiculous amounts of money on cancelled coins because they read this thread and now think they are mint errors.", while going after what @Jersey magic man had posted. You just went after his example of a coin. If you gave a little hint of what you were up to, rather than expect us to read your mind, some of these "misunderstandings" could probably be avoided, thus people will think you're less a "jerk". That's all, my friend. Just my simpleton observation. Enjoy your day.

*edit
    Let me be clear on this. personally, i don't think you're a "jerk". We're from NY. It's what we do. We don't have time for all the pleasantries, but not everyone are us, lol.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Cliff Reuter and paddyman98 like this.
  21. paddyman98

:muted:

I will try to express myself better in my future reponses. And I type this as I walk the path through my drug infested neighborhood getting to the subway full of crime and bums asking for money.. My anxiety starts early in the morning which doesn't allow me at times the positive things I should say on CoinTalk.
    I wish some of you could walk in my shoes :depressed:

Love you guys and ladies! :angelic:

Cliff Reuter and CoinJockey73 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted