mint error collectors i need your help please.

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by bryantallard, Jul 24, 2018.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I had posted this 1942 S war nickel a little while ago trying to find out how to proceed. (potentially struck on a nickel planchet) I couldn't find a college that does metal composition testing. the pawn shop I found that does needs to take a small shaving off the coin. damage right? so the other option is PCGS. the cost is about $250. so before investing that much would you say that whatever I had to invest, the payout would exceed my cost? Tue Jul 24 17-29-18.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-29-47.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-30-41.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-32-01.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-32-28.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-32-43.jpg Tue Jul 24 17-32-52.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USCoinCollector42

USCoinCollector42 Well-Known Member

What makes you think it was struck on a nickel planchet?

I see absolutely no indication of this...

Sending the coin to PCGS for $250 seems like an awful waste of money for a coin that probably isn't the mint error you think it is.

4. bryantallard

I sent the coin to mike diamond and he said the ring and appearance match Cu-Ni alloy. said to follow up with xrf analysis and let him know the results.

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Jewelry stores have metal testers go into a few of them, one of them will test for you for free. $250 is not worth it.
    You can't judge the ring test on a war nickel which has been discussed.
    All you have is appearance, which is not enough. It is likely silver with just an odd patina. But you can get it tested without being gouged for $250.

6. USCoinCollector42

@mikediamond your input on this?

7. bryantallard

here it is in his hand writing. 20180724_175905.jpg

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

9. bryantallard

but each discussion gets me that bit closer. if people humored me on the matter and gave an idea of potential value on the coin if it is as I have described it then if I chose to pay the money that is on me. I just want to know if for the sake of conversation the coin was struck on a nickel planchet could I get my money back plus some. that would be enough to send it out and take my chances... but be honest. if it were a one of a kind discovery...wouldn't you want to know that it exist as an error collector?

10. BooksB4Coins

I don't blame you, Bryan, but sometimes it's nice for thread participants to know there's some history here. I didn't post them as an insult, but in the hopes they may be helpful to someone.

That said, I haven't re-read the threads, but didn't Mr. Weinberg share suggestions and/or advice? If so he's probably the best you're going to get, especially if considering a submission.

Still, if you I'd keep searching for a more affordable option first. Perhaps take what Mike said into consideration, but good luck either way!

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Google XRF or SEM/EDS testing labs. Lots out there. SEM/EDS may be cheaper. However, it still may cost you close to the PCGS price of $250

12. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Is Electron John still around here? I have not heard from him in quite awhile. I believe he was doing this type of work?

13. USCoinCollector42

What does it weigh? If it was struck on the regular non-silver planchet, there will be a noticeable weight difference.

Edit: Nevermind they both weigh 5.00 grams.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  14. BooksB4Coins

I'm only going on memory here, but are both not 5 grams?

Pickin and Grinin and tommyc03 like this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I do believe you are correct.

16. BooksB4Coins

Of course... when am I wrong? ;)

I kid, I kid... seriously though, and again if I recall correctly, wasn't keeping the weight the same why the mint went through so much trouble with the material used?

tommyc03 likes this.
  17. bryantallard

I believe he suggested the xrf as well. as he said cost of the test is about 150 to 200. however when I called the pawn store they said they dont have them because the cost 14,000 to 15,000 dollars. I took no offense to you helping out and definitely no offense. any help is as always...appreciated. the more affordable option requires a shaving being taken off.

18. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

No, both are 5.00 grams.

USCoinCollector42 likes this.
  19. V. Kurt Bellman

You want the bottom line? There is not enough evidence here (the sound "test") to warrant spending the cost of the XRF's you have available or even SENDING the coin out. I am TELLING you silver warnicks come in MANY sounds. So you have a conundrum here. Keep looking for a better metal test option or LET IT GO! Whatever it is, it'll still be the same thing tomorrow, next month, next year, or ten years from now. You want someone to give you the risk-free roadmap. For now, it doesn't exist.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I say send it in and put this whole thing to rest for better or worse.
    Money is just money. You can't spend it when you're dead.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  21. V. Kurt Bellman

Hmm, you should be a State Rep. You are unusually good at spending other people's money.

Cheech9712 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted