Mint error 1965 SILVER quarter struck off center

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mitch Morgan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

The fact is that Mitch may have something which may possibly be authentic.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

If it was struck on a nickel planchet it couldn't be silver. Looks too large for a nickel planchet. Maybe take a photo with a nickel on top of the quarter.
    As for it being silver, I would still weigh it. As a silver quarter is 1/2 gram heavier than a clad quarter, and even with the "wear" it would still weigh more. 2 seconds under my metal detector and I would know if it was nickel.

4. thomas mozzillo

thomas mozzillo Well-Known Member

You seem convinced it's a silver Quarter and if that's the case why not send it to PCGS, NGC, or another TPG. If it turns out to be silver it would be more than worth the cost to have it authenticated. I'm far from being an expert on coins but from what little I know, that's not an off center strike. Hope it turns out well for you!

5. JanieB$$

JanieB$$ New Member

I also have a coin that kinda fits the description.. but it has been flattened so much on one side that it’s larger then a regular quarter in width.. it has a far different sound when it’s placed against other quartered or dropped on a table...

Attached Files:

6. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

It looks promising. Put it up on its own thread with cropped pics of both sides.

7. JanieB$$

JanieB$$ New Member

I am new at this site as well all any coin sites so I’ll have to figure out how to make my own thread cause I also have several other maybe rare coins that I know nothing about but I’m pretty sure they are rare..

8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be either misaligned or off center. Need both sides.
    The odds of it being silver are slim to say the least. But a cool coin anyway.
    It appears cleaned.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just like you just posted your post. Just go to the Error Coins section of CoinTalk and look for Post New Thread..
    Add a short title and create your 1st post just like you did just now with pictures. Then hit Create Thread
    Don't ask "what's it worth" yet until the time your coin is attributed as a legit Mint Error or just damage. Create a thread for each coin you have questions about.

tommyc03 and rickmp like this.
  10. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since this thread has been resurrected from September, 2016, it is interesting to note that the person who started this thread, @Mitch Morgan , claimed that he would submit his coin to PCGS and prove us all wrong. Typically, like so many other blowhards, he has never returned whether that be to make us look like fools or admit that he was wrong. We're still waiting, Mitch!

Chris

Draft saved Draft deleted