Mint error 1965 SILVER quarter struck off center

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Mitch Morgan, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

I believe I have a mint error 1965 SILVER quarter in my collection.
    I rolled it up with a bunch of silver quarter rolls when I was a kid and didn't realize what it was.
    This Quarter was struck off-center and the planchet is thinner on one side.
    The edge shows no evidence of clad and only has the edge ridges visible on about 1/3 of the coin, due to the off center strike.
    The thickness of the planchet is obviously uneven.
    It is much thinner on the left side of the obverse even though surface wear is slight and even on both the obverse and reverse of the coin.
    The edge rim is missing on the coin from 6 oclock to 10 oclock apparently due to off center strike.
    The off center stike has cut into the 1 and 9 in the date and slightly into the word "in" of "in god we trust".
    I have emailed PCGS about submission.
    When searching I came across info that says there are only 8 of these known to exist but I'm not sure about the accuracy of that.
    Anyone have any idea about the possible value ?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

Here are a few pictures (bad quality, cell camera) IMG_20160921_174230_114-1.jpg IMG_20160921_174242_562-1.jpg IMG_20160921_175002_344-1-1.jpg IMG_20160921_175046_038-1.jpg

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Value?? Don't jump the gun. If it does not weigh six grams it is clad.:sorry:

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

I have not weighed it yet but it is smaller than an original quarters size due to the off center strike so I'm not sure the weight would mean much. Additionally one half of the coin is MUCH thinner due to the planchet not being the same thickness throughout. This is NOT due to wear as the coin has very even wear on both sides.

6. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

As you can tell somewhat from the bottom picture, the planchet is almost twice as thick on the right as the left. And again, this is not due to wear.

7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Really? It's just a tapered planchet. Its a common occurrence. All you have is a well circulated clad quarter
    Let us know when PCGS emails you back

8. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

It is definitely tapered and is definitely silver.
    It is NOT however very worn.
    My cell camera is not good quality.

9. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

A weight would be the starting point here.

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Whoa there little fella...the member you just insulted knows more about coins than you do. We are both trying to help you and I hope it turns out that you have something special. If I were you, I would WEIGH THE COIN. If you are unable to do that, I suggest you stop posting until you can.

If like many of us you do not have a way to weigh it at home, try this:

Make something long and flat like a popsicle stick. Use a round pen as a fulcrum in the middle of the stick. Put a clad quarter and place it on one end and the unknown coin on the other and see if they balance. Do the same with a silver quarter if you have one. Then throw your coin and the stick into the trash! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

See coin talk can be fun and informative when you don't have a chip on your shoulder. Good Luck.

11. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Now you know why I have a tendency to come up with stupid answers on other threads from time to time. I really get tired of the people who come here seeking answers and then don't like the answers they get.

Chris

12. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

I know a little about coins too. I have collected for the last 40 years and I did not appreciate the tone of his post which was very confrontational and negative (until he edited it). I don't need / want any trouble and will cancel my membership if necessary.
    Having said all of that
    AS I'VE ALREADY SAID
    The weight isn't going to mean much since this coin is not all there.
    A section was chopped off from 6 oclock to 10 oclock AND the planchet is very thin on one half of the coin.

I rolled THOUSANDS of these things when I was a kid and am now revisiting those rolls and can tell a silver from a clad easily, worn or not.

This coin is definitely a mint error and
    I AM DEFINITELY sending it in to be graded / authenticated.

I just hope (as all life long collectors do) that I have something special here and would be pleased if anyone knew the approximate value if I'm correct and it is authentic.

MisterWD likes this.
  13. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

After all of this negativity, I'm cancelling my membership.
    Wonder why kids don't get involved in collecting like I did when I was young ?
    Might be a bunch of negative grouches !!!!!

MisterWD likes this.
  14. paddyman98

15. cpm9ball

You want negativity? Would you like to know how many times people have said they would submit a "rare" find for grading after being told it wasn't anything special, and we NEVER heard from them again when they learned that they were wrong. I don't want to argue about it, but please, if you're going to ignore everyone here, at least do us a favor and come back when you've heard something, good or bad.

Chris

Stevearino and Insider like this.
  16. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

Ok, I will.

Stevearino and Insider like this.
  17. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

BTW the gentleman I responded harshly to accused me of posting fakes on your site frequently and otherwise was condescending in tone and substance. Then he edited his response, as did I.

Sometimes maybe you guys are VERY QUICK to try and debunk even when someone knows at least a little about what they're talking about.

My question was not about authenticity. PCGS will take care of that.

My question was about VALUE.

I wanted to know if anyone knew the selling price of one of these.

18. cpm9ball

Selling prices on errors and varieties can fluctuate drastically from one sale to the next. If more than one person wants it, it can go sky high, but if only one person is interested, the results might be terrible. As a rule, I never like to quote values because I could be terribly low or optimistically high. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay. The problem you have is, if you're right, there is little or no history to support an estimate.

Chris

19. Mitch Morgan

Mitch Morgan New Member

Thank you, Chris.
    I'll revisit this thread when I hear back from PCGS.

20. paddyman98

If what you have is silver.. then it would be known as a Transitional Error
    The last silver Quarters were minted in 1964. There were a few silver Blank Planchets that made it's way into the 1965 minting of Quarters.
    That is my thought on what you have. It would be nice if it is. Peace.

MisterWD and Stevearino like this.
  21. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Man I hate know it all's who don't really know it all....

Insider and Markus1959 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted