Mint Director Releases 2021 Morgan and Peace Dollar Renderings

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by YoloBagels, Jan 10, 2021.

1. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

Big dealers aren’t average; that’s why they’re big. CloudFlare is primarily for combating botnets, which bombard a host from multiple sites. By bot, I meant a script that sends, evaluates the result, and repeats until successful … much faster than a human with a keyboard and mouse. And dealers will buy from multiple sources (Mint and elsewhere) if they can sell the coins for more than cost. Don’t think we’re going to convince each other, so I’ll stop and let you have the last shot.

Cal

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

All they need is to take the orders, cut off the orders, and then mint what was ordered. I don't understand how the mint decided that they're in the business of making Beanie Babies. Regardless, this seems like something from Dan Carr, not a commemoration. I was expecting a homage, not an exact reproduction.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  4. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

:jimlad:

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

What the mint needs to do is issue enough coins to satisfy collector demand. It should not be in the business of satisfying flippers’ desire to make money. If an item does not sell well during its distribution period, like the Jackie Robinson coin program, and becomes popular later, that’s how it should be with mint products that yield returns for their owners. Artificially low mintages are totally unfair.

Too many collectors are hung up on making money from modern mint products. You buy them because you want them as a collector and let the financial chips fall.

Given the current mint pricing policy, the price for these dollars will probably give many collectors sticker shock. If it really displays the Peace Dollar design as it was intended, I would like one of those coins.

The Morgan Dollar doesn’t interest me very much, especially if it is a redo of the 1921 Morgan. That coin was a mediocre rendering of the design. For those who don’t know, the original artwork had been discarded when the 1921 Morgan Dollars were made. It had be redone. If you want a good example of the design, buy a high grade 1881-S if you are on a budget or a nice Proof Morgan if you have the money to splurge.

Terrifrompa, Dima and -jeffB like this.
  6. erscolo

erscolo Well-Known Member

As with any release, or with most anything in general, there are the litany of complaints. Someone once said you can not please all people even some of the time. So be it.

I for one am happy to see this legislation become law, and to see these renderings of the coins. Since these commemorate the 100th anniversary of both coins in 1921, it makes sense their design should be true to the coins issued that year. I do not own either a Morgan or a Peace Dollar, though I look forward to the purchase of a set for this year, 2021.

This time around, the grass is greener on this side.

davdo and Dima like this.
  7. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

So you obviously didn't try ordering the V75 ASEs, then.

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I'd like to get one of each, to have, not to flip -- and I'm almost entirely a "buy cheap so you can sell expensive" opportunist, erm, "collector". If I'm willing to pay Mint premiums for a coin that has no chance of going up in the aftermarket, there are likely millions of others who'll be ready to buy it.

If this program doesn't have unlimited mintage, then the people who made that decision are fools. But then again, it's one of the first things you learn in logic class: when you know "if A then B", and you know that B is true, you can't deduce whether A is true or false. So, I guess we'll have to wait and see. :rolleyes:

9. messydesk

I think I like these. The Morgan is not the 1921 version (IV obverse, D reverse), rather it seems to be the 1879-1904 version (III obverse, C3 reverse). They have 1964 Morgan hubs available, so perhaps this is actually those, but the pictures aren't big enough to tell and I don't have pictures of the 64 handy at the moment. The Peace dollar looks like a low relief 1921 obverse together with a 1923-35 reverse. The fields of the Peace dollar look a little flat, meaning they've been made compatible with all the finishes the Mint has to offer. The 0 in the date on the Peace dollar is the wrong shape, though. It should be a little wider (rounder) and moved a little to the right.

10. calcol

calcol Supporter! Supporter

John,

I’m not sure I see your point. I did try for the AGE and ASE. No luck with either because of the internet chaos and not having a script quickly re-initiating failed tries. With a lottery, having an open period of several weeks and closing a week or more before the coins go on sale, even folks who prefer to use snail mail would have a chance. Even the computer illiterate or computer haters would have a chance.

I see two philosophies. One is for very large mintages, so everyone has a decent chance to buy a coin. Another is to limit mintages, so that those who do get one will have a rare coin. I don’t think one is better than the other. I’m interested mostly in older U.S. coins and only get interested in new issues if they are rare, so I’m in the second group. I’ve never flipped a coin in my life.

But I would like the process of getting a limited issue to be fairer and take less of my time. Why should I have to sit in front of my computer for a futile half hour or more when the alternative is to sign-on a week in advance, request a lottery number, and then later order the coin if I’m lucky.

Cal

11. DBDc80

DBDc80 Numismatist

I will say that a matte proof release of the peace dollar would be striking...i guess we will see what comes in future months!

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And then listen to the collectors complain that the Mint ruined the aftermarket, as pretty much EVERYTHING falls below issue price, because everyone that wants one has it.

Doesn't matter what the Mint does, collectors will complain about it.

I want one of the Peace dollars in proof for my 20th century proof type set

baseball21 and -jeffB like this.
  13. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

And all that would do is anger more people. Everyone that complains now would complain the lottery is fixed etc and extra people would lose interest. While it is a dumpster fire there's an excitement in trying for it and a rush when you get it.

Actually it is random now and involves luck. The bots aren't coming from dealers and are why there's blocks in the process. The majority of people who get some of the things from the mint whether dealer or collector do so with persistence and a little bit of luck, there's nothing rigged about trying something a billion times for 15 minutes hoping it works once.

14. Ike Skywalker

Ike Skywalker Well-Known Member

I just can’t see these being limited in any way. This is too much of a cash cow for the mint. They ‘bout to get paid.

15. messydesk

These will be easy to purchase. The bill authorizes discounted pricing for bulk sales, so I don't think availability will be an issue. With all the mints, privy marks, and finishes, a full set might need its own Dansco album. Slab label collectors will probably have to buy hundreds of coins.

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  16. baseball21

The general issues won't be, hopefully if they do special finishes there will be some that are otherwise there will be a lot of expensive bullion issues if they do those

Ike Skywalker likes this.
  17. Terrifrompa

Terrifrompa Member

I am looking forward to the Peace dollar, possibly to the Morgan if the mint doesn't play too many games with their release.

18. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

They made their bed, they can pay for the fancy sheets. :rolleyes:

19. baseball21

No one actually buys them all. People get the one they like and ignore the rest same thing with coins series

20. chascat

chascat Well-Known Member

More Mint teaser coins that I don't get to have.

21. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

I'm sure there are plenty of Dan Carr haters but, I like his work. I'm attaching a picture of one of Dan's Peace dollars that he did a few years ago. If Dan can do this the mint can to. But, with the way the mint operates more than likely they'll make the Peace and Morgan dollar look more like a silver round and not like what the coins originally looked like. The style of the Morgan dollar from 1878 to 1904 was very nice but, the 1921 looked like crap. 1918 Peace Dollar.jpg

Tater, Rassi and baseball21 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted