Mint Bag Collection

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by McBlzr, Apr 16, 2014.

1. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

Show off your Mint Bag Collection !

My first one came with a $100 bag of 2014 P & D Kennedy Halfs

#2 with the HOF and #3 with 4 gold coins ?????

100_5077.jpg 100_5084.jpg

jaceravone, torontokuba and Tater like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

My bag came with...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................wait for it..................................................................................................................................................................................................

The blumin' bag

Travlntiques, torontokuba and Heater like this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

OK, who's going to start the first Mint Bag Registry Set?

I guess it depends on when NGC and/or PCGS decide to start slabbing them...

medoraman likes this.
  5. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I knew a thread like this would appear sooner or later. I called it on another thread

6. green18

Nope. The another 'another' thread........

7. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

How much did the bag cost?

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. krispy

krispy krispy

Foist not thy unrequested advertisement strewn dreck upon thee.

Liberate yourselves from unnecessary baggage! Cancel while you can...!

[​IMG]

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You can keep them! I'd rather have the old canvas bags before "ballistics" came into vogue.

Chris

midas1 and spirityoda like this.
  11. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I don't know why the bag doesn't get any love. It's a perfectly good bag. Haters gonna hate I guess.

spirityoda likes this.
  12. krispy

krispy krispy

It has a lot to do with a) the Mint taking a cheap opportunity to use others to advertise itself rather than produce a handsome bag befitting it's usual mantra of quality that collectors may admire and enjoy using, and b) the absurd amount of waste they've shown by shipping a bag 2nd Day Air UPS Signature Required, which takes into account materials (boxes, invoices, labels, sealing boxes), human labor at PBGS preparing these parcels and the whole network of UPS or FedEx+USPS (fuel and labor costs) to deliver them, for what amounts to partial order fulfillment ahead of actual requested products being sent.

In a matter of weeks this whole shipping procedure will be repeated again to deliver coins. Not only will they deliver some orders bags first, then coins, but will also partially fulfill large orders shipping clad and silver and gold all separately over the next month or so.

It's waste multiplied, and all the fees are built into the costs of the products customers order from them. The bag may be reuseable, but many won't use it in the first place, and all the packing materials are bound for trash bins or immediate recycling. If everyone could learn to exercise some patience, let them mint and prepare and fulfill complete orders, rather than institute a policy of partial order fulfillment, there would be less resentment and overall waste. I've cut that waste by cancelling my bags across two separate orders.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I didn't say I hated them. I just don't want them.

Chris
    BAG IT ALL!.jpg

midas1, John Anthony and krispy like this.
  14. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

It's your Federal Government hard at work. :)

15. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Don't be left holding the bag.

:)

16. sodude

sodude Well-Known Member

In defense of the Mint, at least they are trying some new marketing.

Let's compare free shipping promotions to the free bag to see if the latter is really such a money loser for the Mint:

Free shipping: You spend $100 on products, the Mint pays $5 to ship, so they get $95.

Free bag: you spend $100 on products plus $5 shipping ($105 total). The mint pays $5 to ship the bag and $5 to ship the coin. The bag costs them 50c. So the Mint gets $94.50.

17. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

I thought it came with a black rubber band.:wideyed:

18. green18

I forgot about that. Woe is me, I've misplaced the blasted thing........

19. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

If you're not using all of them, can you send me the spare black rubber bands?;)

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

So far, this is only mint bag that I own.

(Nerd Alert: I collect South Korea)

Had to jump on this when I saw it up for auction!

This is the ONLY 10 Won mint bag from the 1960s that I have EVER seen. A former G.I. sold to me it after holding onto it for 47 years. He found it in an empty closet on a US Army base in Korea in 1967.
    $_57.JPG

21. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

Draft saved Draft deleted