Mint and proof sets

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Illinois Newby, Dec 2, 2016.

1. I'm not sure this is the correct location for this question, so please forgive me and inform me of what I need to do if I am doing something wrong. I'm a Newby.
    I have inherited my Fathers coin collection which is more accurately a horde of unsorted coins. It seems the easiest spot to start my cataloguing is with the Mint and Proof Sets. There are a number of them from the 1950's to the 1980's. Most are in the original packaging material and have never been opened. Is there any reason to keep them in the packaging, or should they be opened for cataloguing?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Don't open the early 50's ones. They're more valuable (and collectible) in OGP (original goober packaging). The more modern sets could be broken up, but I (as a collector) enjoy them in OGP. The only reason for cracking out a set would be if the quality was so stellar that you would get the set slabbed by one of the major third party grading services.

And welcome to the forum young lady.......:)

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Here are some general rules to follow:

If they are sealed, leave them sealed.

If they are opened, but the original set is sealed, do not take them out.

If they are sealed in cello, do not open them.

Do not clean/polish anything. If there are "raw" (coins not in any sort of holder) only hold them by the edges.

There are plenty of collectors here who are mostly happy to help someone figure out what they have in a collection like this. Some of us are a bit salty and sarcastic, but in the end we just like looking at the coins, so we'll play nice.

Photos are very helpful if they are in focus and have enough light to see what we're looking at.

Kirkuleez, mikenoodle and Coinlover67 like this.
  5. stldanceartist

Depending on what part of Illinois you're in, I might be able to help recommend somewhere to help catalogue the collection (or might be able to help look at it personally.) I'm in the STL Metro area on the IL side.

mikenoodle likes this.
  6. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

The first thing I have to say is welcome to CT. You have come to the right place.

I would try and post some photos of what you have. There are a lot of people here with a lot of information who can help you figure it out. Whatever you do, do not clean them or try to improve the coins in anyway. I would leave them in whatever packaging they are in and post photos that way. If they are loose...hold them by the edges (rims), do not let your fingers touch the front or the backs of the coins.

7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Yes, welcome. Try a photo of the whole bunch or any part of it. Gives us a place to start.

8. About 4 hours from St Louis/ East Central

9. Have just taken a pic but having trouble figuring out how to get it to here from my phone. Can you help?

10. When you say sealed are your referring to the postal packaging? That is what I am talking about. I have not opened any of the packages, so they are in original cases.

11. Kentucky

Someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly... however, if you can get it on the computer as a file, you just hit the "Upload A File" at the bottom of the posting page.

12. Kentucky

For proof sets, prior to 1955 were packaged in cardboard boxes wrapped in tissue paper. In 1955 they issued the first "flat pack" in plastic. They've been in plastic ever since. If you have anything before 1955, be careful. After 1955, as long as the coins remain in their plastic cocoons, everything should be OK (even if you open the paper envelope. I think everything I said is accurate.

mikenoodle likes this.
  13. stldanceartist

About 4 hours from STL is almost up by Chicago, really. Since you said East Central, I'll guess somewhere around Joliet? (Don't put your exact city out here, never a good idea to advertise that you have coins.)

Some early proof sets came in cardboard boxes with the coins individually wrapped in cellophane and tissue paper.

1950's-present proof and mint sets will either come in cello, then a paper envelope, and then a cardboard box from the US Mint, or a hard plastic case, then a cardboard cover, then a cardboard box. Some of them will be postmarked (good way to get the date) and some will have a sticker from the US Mint that will help determine if it's a proof or a mint set.

If you have sealed shipping boxes from the US Mint, until we determine what dates they are, don't open them. There are certain years that may have valuable varieties and errors in them, and people will pay more for sealed boxes (kind of like a lottery ticket).

mikenoodle and Kentucky like this.
  14. stldanceartist

A good place to start would be to make a list of proof sets by year and mint sets by year, then take a photo of each group and post it here.

15. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

If you're near Dekalb or Joliet, I would be happy to meet you someplace public like a library and help you figure out what you have

Attached Files:

17. i finally got a picture posted. It just shows the type of packaging so we can get on the same page. I am wondering about the bottom package, the ones mailed grom the MINT. this is only a sample, not the entire group.

18. Nearer Campaign or Bloomington.

19. stldanceartist

Good morning!

So, the top 3 sets are aftermarket sets (in other words, not put together by the US Mint.) Not to worry - they still contain some nice uncirculated looking coins and at least some silver as well. These are mostly put together by people like coin shops, collectors, etc (the cases are relatively easy to open if needed - there will be incuse grooves on the corners; all that's required is a finger to pry open the corner and both halves of the plastic pop out.) I say the last part because sometimes they can be a bit loose, and as mentioned before, at this stage you won't want to be opening them intentionally or unintentionally.

There are also potential bonuses with varieties - but finding those might need another level of assistance. I put it that way because, if you are into learning what to look for, we can help, but it will take a bit of time and explanation, plus you will need to purchase a 10x loupe to examine the coins closely. If you aren't into learning what to look for, it will take someone with both experience and desire to know what to look for.

I say "desire" because many coin shops will look at sets like these and see (using the top set as an example) one 40% silver Kennedy Half Dollar (worth about $2.50 in silver according to Coinflation) and offer you a percentage below the silver price of that one coin for the entire set. For the 1964 set, which contains 3 silver coins (the half, the quarter, and the dime) they will most likely offer you a percentage of that silver content ($10.29) for the set, regardless of condition or applicable varieties/errors. In my experience, a coin shop will usually tend to ignore the copper-nickel clad coins in these sets and base their buy price on whatever silver is inside. Their sell price will, however, take these other coins into account.

Now, my alma mater is the University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign) so I'm first going to ask if That's Rentertainment is still open (it was a GREAT DVD rental place back in the early 2000's when I went there.) Ha! I remember the Gold Nugget people being friendly and patient with me. Now, it's been almost 15 years...so it may have changed ownership or staff. I do not remember ever visiting Specialty Stamp & Coin, so I won't say yes/no for them. I've driven through Bloomington on a number of occasions, and they have a pretty decent flea market every month, but I think they shut down for the winter months. There are a couple coin dealers in one of their buildings who know what they are talking about, and a couple who don't...lol I do not recall ever visiting a coin shop in Bloomington, though.

Don't take these to a pawn shop. Just don't. They won't tell you anything and they will only lowball you if they make a buy offer. Your best bet is to walk into a coin shop, tell them that you just inherited these coins from your father and you'd like to learn more about what they are, and if they are patient and helpful, you've found a good spot. If they give you a cursory explanation and offer you a "take it or leave it" buy price, gather your coins and politely thank them for their time and walk right out that door.

Now, that being said, the more pictures you post here, the more we can help you out and get you closer to understanding the items your father collected. Why? Because, as I said before, we love looking at coins. We love looking at other people's coins, because we already have tons of coins and we don't even get tired of looking at them over and over and over again. Think Gollum and his Precious. So keep posting photos and we'll keep helping.

20. View attachment 560656 View attachment 560657 View attachment 560656 View attachment 560657
    I can't thank you guys enough for helping me out so much already. Now that I have figured out the photo thing I will post several pics and see what kind of sleuths you really are. I can already tell I will need lots of help and stumbled on the right spot early in my search. Thanks again for all you have done on the first day.

WOW! Thanks! I do have more pictures to post and the 1941 and 1942 may be of particular interest are they Mint Proof or aftermarket?

21. Found these this morning. 1941 and 1942 what are they? Mint Proof or Aftermarket?

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted