Mint and Proof Coins in Dansco Albums?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Soda Ant, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Soda Ant

Soda Ant Senior Member

Up until now I've always kept my MS and proof coins in Whitman plastic snap lock holders, but this makes it hard to show my collections to others. I've been thinking of moving everything to Dansco albums.

Is it safe to store MS and proof coins (primarily Lincoln cents and Buffalo/Jefferson nickels) in Dansco albums? Are these albums made of acid-free and PVC free materials?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. justforthis06

justforthis06 New Member

I dont know what exactly they are made out of, but they allow you to see the front and back of the coin, rather than just one side like the whitman albums. In my opinion, the whitman folders are good for starting a set and keeping them together, and when you finish the set, you go through and upgrade to the Dansco albums. Atleast thats what I did anyway.

4. Booner

Booner Member

Soda,

I've been considering the same thing. I'd like to keep my proofs protected, but the government packaging makes them hard to view. Last night I ordered an Air-Tite "H" album for my proof ASEs. I'll need to transfer them to the Air-tite direct fit holders, but then the holders will fit right in the album. I'll have them available for easy viewing, but they'll still be protected. I'll let you know how it turns out.

5. justforthis06

justforthis06 New Member

They are protected in the Dansco albums, are they not?

6. Soda Ant

Soda Ant Senior Member

Yes, they are. I'm worried about the materials the album is made from causing the coins to tone.

7. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

I have been very happy with my dansco albums. I started with whitman albums too, and graduated to the albums.

8. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Dansco's will require the utmost care when using for MS and PF coins....I have seen many a nice MS/proof get skid marks from the sliding plastic. Chemically I think they are fine, but it's the sliders that hurt.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Slide once; Don't touch after that.

10. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Every so often I have to bring this up - what is the first rule of coin collecting ? Well, in most cases it's going to be how to handle a coin - and you handle a coin only by the edges. Why ? So you do not damage the coin by touching the surface of the coin.

Now - how do you get a coin in an album ?

Bottom line, that's the end of the story on albums for me.

11. justforthis06

justforthis06 New Member

Er....Thats what white cotton gloves are for ;)

12. GDJMSP

And the scrathes/hairines those white cotton gloves impart to the surface of the coin when you push the coin down into the hole - what about them ?

13. justforthis06

justforthis06 New Member

I didnt have to push the coin in with the Dansco album, you simply set the coin in and slide the plastic in. Now whether the plastic scratches or not is a different story.

14. GDJMSP

Really ? I'm surprised, I've never seen a coin album where the coin just set down into the hole without being pushed in. But then I haven't looked at a Dansco in recent years, perhaps they have changed.

15. justforthis06

justforthis06 New Member

Atleast thats how it was with the state quarter album I bought. I mean of course you do push a little just to get the coin even, but for the most part it falls in there. Its nothing like the Whitman albums where you nearly have to get a hammer and beat the coin in the hole.

16. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

In my experience GDJMSPis right. You do have to touch the obverse of the coin to put it in the album, which is not good even if you are wearing white cotton gloves. I've already begun my album of walkers, and I bought gloves just for putting the coins in. Most of the coins aren't worth a fortune, and the key dates that are expensive are already well circulated, cuz thats the only way I can afford them, hehe. So I'm not too worried about it. But with my future projects, any sets I work on that aren't pulled from circulation will probably not be put in albums, simply because you can't properly handle coins while placing them in the album. If your albums allows you to simply drop the coin into the slot without applying any pressure, I would be concerned that the album isn't holding the coin securely enough to keep it in place...

17. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I started using the Dansco albums when they first came out.
    It's a great product but not for everything.
    I learned the hard way that MS copper or anything proof is at risk using this type of album.
    Just my opinion.

18. j-easy

j-easy Member

so then what is the safest thing to store a coin in?

19. Spider

Spider ~

I use Coin-edge holders and then put them into intercept shield boxes
    works well for me, but they are not really displayed. It doesn't bother me anyways. It is very easy to store and my coins stay in the correct spots. It is also not very expensive since the coins you probably are putting in there are worth a little better protection

20. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

Doug is exactly right on this one. Regardless of whether or not the albums materials will react with the coins metals, the coin cannot be placed into said album without touching the surfaces. In cases of high end MS coins, it is these tiny hairlines that downgrade MS 67 and up coins into the MS 65 and worse range. Worse yet in Dansco type albums are the plastic sliders that "protect" the coins from fingers etc. in the albums. The mere loving of these slides against the coins is enough to damage your better mint state coins.

Even if Danscos were safe to place the oins into, I have personally been very disappointed with what my ASE and Lincoln Memorial sets after a few years. The "Album toning" is quite unappealing, and I personally wish I had stored them in another way.

just my 2¢

21. Soda Ant

Soda Ant Senior Member

Thanks for all the opinions. I've decided to keep my high MS state and proof coins in their individual plastic holders. I don't want to risk putting hairlines on the coins putting them in the albums or the coins reacting with the album materials.

Draft saved Draft deleted