Minnesota State Coin Die Breaks?

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by RIchard Abanes, Jan 29, 2021.

1. AME DieBreak.jpg Hello All,
    My wife and I are BRAND NEW to coin collecting and are so excited. We inherited a BUNCH of coins from her dear father who passed away. So, wehave decided to start this new hobby. We ordered many books and are reading reading reading. But my eyes are untrained and I know that I don't know what I dont know, so I thought I'd ask a few questions here on this thread because we are both very interested in coin errors. I hope it's ok to post some pictures and ask whay you all think. So, here are pics from the Obverse/Reverse of my Minnesota Quarter. I found what SEEMS to be soe serious die breaks(?). Especially interesting to me is a very clean nick on the top and bottom of the reverse that are in a straight line to each other. There are all kinds of scraps, nicks, and what looks like the top layer peeled off (e.g., on jaw of face). I'll just upload a few of the images of some of the "errors" (?). Obviously, I alos have NO IDEA if this is worth anything. LoL. Thanks in advance for any answers. This is very fun.
    ForeheadCheekJaw00.jpg

NeckDieBreak01.jpg

01Die Break Cut.jpg

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. DarkRage666

DarkRage666 Ͳìɾҽժղҽʂʂ Ͳąҟҽղ ටѵҽɾ

Welcome to CT and we're happy to have you here!... All that it looks like to me is a coin that has taken a ton of hits... I don't think any of the purported "die breaks" are raised... that would make them die breaks... if they are below the surface they're hits... please keep us updated on the finds and I'm sorry for your guy's loss

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

The rim/edge dings are from Post Mint Damage, IMO. The other issues "die breaks" are ? because I cannot enlarge the photos. There are quite a few other hits, PMD, to the coin as well.

RIchard Abanes likes this.
  5. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Welcome, both of you, aboard The CT Train. Hope you enjoy the ride.:)

6. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

All contact marks from hitting other coins or being dropped. One of your quarters appears to have a very slight die crack at the front base of Washington's bust. But no added value as such.

RIchard Abanes and Evan Saltis like this.
  7. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

+1 . But keep at it . Use the naked eye to spot anything out of the ordinary first before using magnification and look for common errors . Just post and someone will answer . Good Luck and Welcome aboard . :)

8. Thanks everyone. What's so cool is that I kept doing some reading between when I posted this & when I saw all of your replies, and yes, now it's making more sense to me. I love learning new things and talk about a wealth of knowledge!!! I am posting a pic of a 1916 penny, that I originally thought was an error, but now, I think it's just PSD/PMD (also read a very interest debate back and forth about these terms and the usefulness of PMD as opposes to PSD, which seems to be the preferred term since it can include all damage post ejection CUD01.jpg rim03.jpg ).

Draft saved Draft deleted