Minima of Caesarea?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Factor, Dec 23, 2019.

1. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

This little coin was in a group of Greek coins from middle east. I have never seen this exact type, but obverse seems to have Tyche, like many phoenician coins. The reverse depicts lion with snake above, the only other coin having this combination that comes to my mind is small ae of Hadrian from Caesarea Maritima. Could it be a minima from Caesarea? The diameter is 12mm, right for the type, but weight of 1.41g is a bit heavy, typically they are 0.7 to 1.2g. Any ideas?
    20191223_203818.jpg 20191223_203850.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I see your research but also know the lion under a club was used by many places for well over a century (Hadrian-Gordian) leaving me quite mystified.

7Calbrey likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think that's a snake.

Here's a similar coin, a cool "snack" from AMCC2 :D. I haven't had time to do any reading about it and the attribution plus historical background is copied from Sev's auction blurb.

CaesariaMaritima-Hadrian-LionSnake-AMCC2.jpg
    JUDAEA, Caesarea Maritima. Hadrian
    117-138 CE; 2.72 gm, 12 mm
    Obv: [IMP TR HADRIANO CA]; laureate (?) head right
    Rev: [CIFAC]; lion walking right, snake above
    Ref: SNG ANS 774; BMC 76.

The reverse legend stands for C[OLONIA] P[RIMA] F[LAVIA] A[VGVSTA] F[ELIX] C[AESARENSIS]. Founded by Herod the Great, the Romans made Caesarea Maritima the capital of the province of Judaea; it was elevated to the status of Colonia by Vespasian. This coin was issued around the time of the Bar Kokhba revolt under Hadrian. After the revolt's suppression, Hadrian instituted a number of repressive measures, including renaming the province to Syria Palaestina, prohibiting Torah law and the Jewish calendar, and burning sacred books.

5. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Exactly, so it looks to me that TIF's coin is the prototype for the reverse of that minima, and the obverse is from some phoenician issue, probably Tyre. Minimas often combine designs is very different coins, like emperor bust from Alexandria as obverse and grape leaf of Jewish war prutah as reverse.

6. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I look forward to researching my coin and yours! At first I thought your coin's bust was the same as mine but with some wear or die breaks but you're right-- that's looks like a veiled female wearing some sort of headdress. I agree that it resembles Phoenician Astarte/Tyche.

7. 7Calbrey

7Calbrey Well-Known Member

Out of curiosity, what does the symbol "Snake over Lion" represents?

8. Factor

Factor Well-Known Member

Kadman suggested military context since the lion/snake type was only used under Trajan and Hadrian, presumably at the time of Parthian war and Bar Kochba revolt. I am not really convinced by this argument, he based this connection on similarity with wild boar type of Aelia Capitolina, but boar is known symbol of X legion.

7Calbrey likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted