Minerva enters the collection

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by sylvester, Oct 22, 2005.

1. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Finally another one to my Roman deity collection, to join Jupiter.

[​IMG]

I also have a Licinius I Follis i picked up on the cheap (if you call £7.50 cheap), it was the cheapest Roman coin in the shop, and also has Jupiter on the reverse. Doesn't look too bad actually but has a green patina, i bought one with a green patina on purpose. The reason being i fancied one as a pocket piece, to carry around, to show people etc. Conversation starter.

But it almost looks a little too nice to use.

What i really could do with is a low grade cull depicting Hermes to use as a pocket piece, as i do a fair bit of travelling it can't harm to have the messanger god on one's side can it! :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

nice coin.

4. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Very nice Sylvester,certainly has mine beat!
    What gods do you have so far? I'll make a list of mine but it might take some time.
    I know I have a couple of Venus for sure.

Attached Files:

5. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

Ok,didn't take long at all.There's a lot of repetition.Of course some of the Roman minted coins from the provinces feature Greek gods like Zeus,Herakles,Artemis,etc. but I didn't include these.
    Marsyas,Pax,Minerva,Mars,Fortuna,Virtus,Concordia,Victory,Honus,Venus,Felicitas,Fides,Pudicitia,
    Roma,Juno,Jupiter,Laetitia,Pietas,Sol,Providentia,Diana,Annona,Genius.After that,most of the reverses show the "soldier spearing fallen horseman" design with FEL TEMP REPARATIO legends.
    edit:NO HERMES...I'll look around

6. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

One more

While I was doing my deity search,I found a Trajan denarius that I had failed to attribute so I went to Wildwinds to look for it using the inscription on the reverse.I got a long page and started scrolling and there it was all the way at the bottom of the page.It is:
    Arabia standing left, holding a branch and a bundle of canes, camel at feet. RIC 142, RSC 89.I was looking for the camel.. :)
    I can't find any reference on the web of her as a goddess but there she is on the coin presented as one.Perhaps she is just a representation of the area like Hispania or Roma.
    Maybe someone else can find something.

Attached Files:

7. sylvester

sylvester New Member

Currently i only have Jupiter and Minerva. My list of needed ones from your list provided is thus;

Mars
    Venus
    Juno
    Diana

(the rest are personifications, or minor deities).

Notable ones missing from your list that i know exist are;

Neptune (Posidon)
    Vesta (Hestia), of course!
    Ceres (Demeter)
    Apollo
    Vulcan (Hephaistos)
    Mercury (Hermes)
    Bacchus (Dionysis)

However i'm not sure about Hades? Is the god of Hades on a coin anywhere?

Those are the main ones that are seen as Olympians.

There are tons of minor dieties and demi-gods out there; Hercules, Fortuna, Janus, Febris, Sulis, Genii Cuculatti etc.

One minor god i would happily include is Sylvanus if he ever turns up anywhere? (The god of Woodlands and uncultivated ground). As i like woods!

But i can't see this deity turning up on a coin so much.

Draft saved Draft deleted