Minerva Bull As, rare even for an Aes Grave

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by rrdenarius, Aug 4, 2020.

1. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

An uncommon cast bronze As arrived this week. The coin was broken to make small change and is only about a Sextans worth of bronze. Enough of the design is on the coin to make an ID, but most of the "good stuff" is on other pieces.

Minerva Bull Aes Grave Fraction; Crawford 37, 225 BC

DSCN4684.JPG
    DSCN4683.JPG
    Roman Republic
    Aes Grave fragment of an As from the Miverva Bull series 225 BC, mint uncertain
    Obv – Head of Minerva, facing, wearing helmet with three crests, hair cascading to shoulders
    Rev – Bull standing to right (only parts of the back two legs are showing); In Ex RO[MA]; this fragment does not show the marks above the bull: L, I or a caduceus. Grueber and earlier authors are not sure if the L stands for a town (Luceria) or one pound (Libra).
    37.1 X 29.2 X 10.2 mm
    43.22 grams
    BB +, Light Brown / Green patina
    Rare - I found only a dozen coins in books and on the internet (3 coins on acsearch). Haberline had 23 examples. I am not sure where this fits on a rarity scale, but there have been only a few sales in the last 20 years. I would like a whole coin, but this place holder is good enough for now.

Crawford 37/1a, b or c Crawford lists three symbols above the bull.
    Grueber Italy AG 1 or 2
    Sydenham RRC – 138 & 139
    Sydenham AG – 34 & 35
    Haberline – pg 141 – 143, 23 examples including 2 fragments; plates 55 – 56
    Garrucci - pg 17; plate XXXII # 4 & 5
    Vecci ICC – 72 or 73
    T&V – 43 or 43a
    HNI – 331

The next few pics are the seller's, two plate pics from Garrucci, a fragment pic from Haberline and 2 coins from Haberline
    Cr37.1 cut aes grave tintin 6.20.20 rev.jpg Cr37.1 cut aes grave tintin 6.20.20.jpg DSCN4686.JPG DSCN4688.JPG DSCN4697.JPG 20200620_141657.jpg

tenbobbit, thejewk, Sulla80 and 16 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice catch! If complete, it probably would have been very impressive. Do you also own a complete one?

rrdenarius likes this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Well done, @rrdenarius . Wow! That is a fantastic piece. Congrats.

Musing: wouldn’t be interesting to find some or all the other broken pieces.

ominus1 and rrdenarius like this.
  5. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Very nice addition to your collection! I like the photos of the cast AE fragment next to the corresponding plate images. Good visual aid for seeing the design elements present.

rrdenarius likes this.
  6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Dang, I'd love to have one of these!

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Alegandron

They are out there for the taking! :D INDULGE yourself! I have several myself!

Kentucky likes this.
  8. Kentucky

I have aes rude, but no aes grave...perhaps...............................................

Alegandron likes this.
  9. Alegandron

Gettem-Gettem-Gettem! They are GREAT!

They have a different "feel" in-hand. Like a different specific gravity... not quite like Gold, but not the typical Ancient coin feel.

upload_2020-8-4_13-31-18.png
    RR AE Aes Grave Sextans 270 BCE 37mm 55.28g Dioscuri R and L (similar denom as @rrdenarius lopped off piece in the OP)

10. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

they can be found at modest prices if you have patience, look a lot and are ok with something less than mint state coins.
    DSCN0933.JPG DSCN0932.JPG

Kentucky and Johndakerftw like this.
  11. Kentucky

Are you kidding...for ancients those are MS :)

12. Kentucky

You inspire me...I'll have to start looking. The feeling thing, kind of like picking up an Alex tet when you are used to obols...

Alegandron likes this.
  13. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

High grade Alexander tets are always available. High grade obols are not. Some aes grave are thicker than some tets are wide. It reminds me of a joke that was making the rounds in 1959 when Alaska became a state. The Texan was moaning about no longer being the largest state. The Alaskan said, 'Shut up or we'll divide and make you third.' Another coin usually available are the more common of the dekadrachms. If you ever have the opportunity to handle an Alexander dekadrachm, take it. I'll never have one.

Kentucky and rrdenarius like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted