"MIND YOUR BUSINESS" Ben Franklin mystery

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ozarktravler, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ozarktravler

ozarktravler Senior Member

the mystery of the 1776 continental pattern...In looking at the FUGIO contential pattern, I must wonder why a sundial was chosen, how time flys relate to currency? Why the wording" mind your business" ...what was Ben thinking?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

It just means that time flies, do your work.(Have you seen a double struck fugio cent they are so NICE!)

4. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Cant say that i have!

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Mind your business meant just that. Concentrate on what you do best and you will prosper. Keep your freakin' nose out of your neighbors business...

6. silvermonger

silvermonger Member

That makes a hell of a lot more sense or at least more practical than 'In God we Trust'

We can be happy Ben's idea for a national symbol was rejected.
    He wanted he Turkey instead of the Eagle

So..our coins might have all said 'mind your own business' with an image of a noble turkey instead of the eagle

I wonder what or who he may have favored for a 'Miss Liberty'?

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

There is a difference between "Mind your business" and "Mind your own business" Unfortunately Green 18 posted both meanings as if they were equivalent. "Mind your business" meant "Concentrate on what you do or do best and you will prosper". A true piece of sage advice. "Mind your own business" means "Keep your freakin' nose out of your neighbors business", which is also good advice, but not the same type as the previous advice.

The term 'Fugio" means "I fly" and the sundial is used to symbolically represent time. So the whole composition represents a rebus meaning "Time flies so mind your business" where mind your business simply means get done what you need to do, don't put it off or procrastinate.

8. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

I read where "Mind Your Business" was an admonition by Franklin for everyone to work hard (each in their own way) to the strengthen the new Nation. We were still very weak and vulnerable despite having won independence...which would never have happened without help from France.

9. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

10. 900fine

900fine doggone it people like me

Maybe.

Or not.

There's no doubt France was very helpful; they played the card "The enemy of my enemy is my friend". Fighting a proxy war against the English helped their own worldwide imperial ambitions.

But Haiti won independence from France without much help from anyone. Hard to say how the Americans would have fared without French help. It's like saying with absolute certainty how a football game will turn out; one is often surprised by the outcome.

Just ask Peyton Manning ! :rolleyes:

11. Fletcher

Fletcher Junior Member

I have one ... but it is a tad beat up :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted