Milk Spots- Are They Such a Big Deal?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by frostyluster, Apr 11, 2015.

1. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

Hey guys, first thread in a while. I was just wondering what you all thought about milk spot removal. Obviously they are distracting, but they can be removed easily and harmlessly if you know what you're doing. I use a microfiber cloth (which doesn't scratch surfaces) and gently rub the haze off of coins. I tested it first on a non accent hair Kennedy proof with severe milk spots, and the spots were dramatically reduced. I looked at the rubbed portions under a x20 loupe and saw no hairlines. So, any thoughts?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scotts1

scotts1 Well-Known Member

I hate milk spots. My understanding is that any type of cleaning is bad for coins. but someone with more knowledge about this will have to confirm/deny.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't think what you're talking about are milk spots. Nobody has ever been able to find anything that will remove milk spots.

As for your micro-fiber cloth that doesn't scratch surfaces - no such thing exists. And if you think it does, then you need look closer at your coins.

5. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

You will leave lines.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Check the coin in a day or two and see if some hairlines pop. I'm sure you won't be disappointed..........

swamp yankee and rzage like this.
  7. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

A microfiber cloth is engineered just so that the cloth fibers will not scratch the surface it makes contact with. I too thought that it would scratch the coin, but even under 20x magnification, I see none.

swamp yankee likes this.
  8. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

If it does, I won't be disappointed, it was a cheap '64 Kennedy proof.

9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

"the NBA proposed the use of a microfiber ball for the 2006–07 season. The ball, which is manufactured by Spalding, does not require a "break-in" period of use as leather balls do, and has the ability to absorb water and oils, meaning that sweat from players touching the ball is better absorbed, making the ball less slippery. Over the course of the season, the league received many complaints from players who found that the ball bounced differently from leather balls, and that it left cuts on their hands.

On January 1, 2007, the league scrapped the use of all microfiber balls and returned to leather basketballs."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfiber

The balls are still available and used in amateur sports. I guess millionaire's hands are more important.

10. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

What exactly ARE milk spots? A chemical deposit on the surface? If so, what is the chemical? Is it merely a discoloration? Are they tiny abrasions on a proof surface?

One of the few terms I've never read anything about.

swamp yankee likes this.
  11. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You may not see the hairlines under a 20X loupe but they will show under a stereo microscope.

swamp yankee and rzage like this.
  12. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

They also may show up in photographs. It depends on the angle of your lighting.

swamp yankee, rzage and tommyc03 like this.
  13. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Let's say for arguements sake that microfibre cloth doesn't scratch the coins surface . But I'm sure the cloth will pick up any # of contaminants or debris that when pushed with the cloth sure will . Better not to wipe a coin with anything . Though I don't see anything wrong with experimenting with any '64 MS or proof coin as it's a great way to learn the effect of different agents on coins .

alyssacoins and swamp yankee like this.
  14. frostyluster

frostyluster Member

If you need a microscope to see the scratches, they are not "there" as the tpg graders would consider it. According to PCGS, and I quote directly, "(the PCGS grading standard for MS-70 requires “flawless surfaces under 5x magnification”). By the tpg standards, if I wiped a 70 proof and it didn't cause any scratches visible under 5x magnification, it would still be a 70.

15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

You don't need to see individual scratches to prove that the coin is ruined. You just have to see that the luster has been disturbed. That's a simple matter of turning the coin under directional light, and requires no magnification at all.

swamp yankee, tommyc03 and rzage like this.
  16. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

I use a 30X loupe as my field magnifier so I don't miss anything like overdates/ect and it makes the "hairlines" really stand out. A plus is you can almost read Buffaloes'dates quite a few times.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

The milk spots on ASEs and other bullion coins like Maple Leaves do not wipe off with a micro fiber cloth. But if you've found one that does, I think PCGS has a standing offer of 10 or 15 grand for a solution to the milk spotting. You should tell them you've figured it out but don't tell them what it is until you hash out the payment details. Get with your accountant first, cash may be best so you don't get bumped into a higher tax bracket.

the dude.jpg

:D

18. GDJMSP

It's actually $25 grand.

Precisely. And if anyone can't see it, it's because they don't know what they are looking at.

No one knows exactly, and that is a large part of the problem. About all we know is that coin dips don't remove them. And since dips are at the extreme end of things that can safely be used on coins without harming the coin - well, that's why that reward still stands.

swamp yankee likes this.
  19. krispy

krispy krispy

If this forever remains a conservation issue affecting the saleability of coins with such spots, should one ever discover a remedy to the perceived problem spots, then rather than taking a cash payout like that from a company that would soon capitalize on the procedure of removing the spots themselves, one would be better to keep the solution a secret, build a case of examples of successfully removing spots and helping collectors and dealers realize a return on the value of coins once hurt in value by these spots, and establish a service that requires anyone (individuals, dealers, mints, marketers, TPGs...) who wish to remove the spots, to submit their coins to your service for a fee similar to grading tiers for the coins based on values and risks associated with cleaning and handling others' valuable objects. Such a service is worth FAR more than a nominal $25,000.

tommyc03, swamp yankee and rzage like this.
  20. doug5353

doug5353 Well-Known Member

Thanks - surprisingly, I had never heard the term until I joined CT.

============
    Would someone please post an image of a really atrocious and despicable example of milk spots (preferably not a cellphone photo)? :yuck:

21. GDJMSP

Draft saved Draft deleted