Milk spots and grading? 2??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by fretboard, Nov 7, 2009.

1. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I am wondering if you send a set of coins in to be graded at one of the top TPG's and one of the coins has milk spots on it will that knock the grade down a bit?

If you send in a coin to be graded but it has milk spots on it does that in itself affect the grade of the coin? Anyone?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

I'm not sure about the spots, but I had a late '60s Kennedy half that was graded PCGS PR-68 DCAM and it was disgustingly hazy...I sold it for melt.

4. fretboard

Here are pics of a Kennedy half dollar I bought at my coin club already slabbed. I don't know if these are milk spots or not and I don't know if the coin was sent to AACGS with the spots or if the spots came later.

The slab doesn't appear to have been tampered with so I think it was graded that way. The coin looks really nice minus the spots. Also I know this isn't one of the TPG's and doesn't even come close, but it was one of my first slabbed coin buys. Incidentally the slab is approx 51/2 inches tall and 31/2 across so I really do think it's vintage, but honestly I don't know what year it was graded. Anyone?

Attached Files:

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yes spots like those can adversely affect the grade. But I don't think those are milk spots on your half dollar. As to what to do with the coin, I'd spend it. Unless it's a silver clad of course.

6. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I think the point made by Silver Lover was a good one. It might grade high but won't sell like it. Eye appeal means a lot to me and many other collectors. I would take off lots of points but apparently the grading companies have different systems to grade coins. The TPG's might set the grade but the collector's will set the price.

7. Just Carl

Just Carl Numismatist

There is one more thing to consider. If your coin is a doubtfull great coditoned coin, just send it to one of those many other grading organizations. I'd be worried about the big ones taking a chance grading a coin with any kind of spots. Ask around and you may get a list of the lesser grading services.

8. fretboard

I did a little research on this ACCGS and it looks like it was a self slabber until 2003 when a coin club in California got into the grading business. Personally I don't know if it's an MS64 or if someone just slapped it in this slab. Whatever the case I will hang onto it b/c if nothing else. It's an older slab casing and it's starting to tone really nicely on the reverse of the coin.

http://www.accgs.org/

9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

AACGS and ACCGS are not the same group or company.

10. fretboard

Oh!! Well thx for the correction, I'll have to check it out. :thumb:

11. silvrluvr

silvrluvr Senior Member

Good one! The collectors should always set the price...if the dealer doesn't want to accept your offer, just move on. If it's a rare piece or special, you probably can't set the price, but I think that most stuff for sale is common and should be priced, or purchased accordingly.

Draft saved Draft deleted