Military Numismatic Trivia

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by lettow, May 5, 2017.

1. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Just don't remember the story behind it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Cheech9712

Just don't remember the story behind it

4. Cheech9712

5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

1935A $1 silver certificates; 1934 $5 & $20 Federal Reserve notes; 1934A $5, $10, $20 Federal Reserve notes

6. lettow

lettow Senior Member

US_$20_1929_Federal_Reserve_Bank_Note.jpg

Federal Reserve Bank Notes of 1929 were called back into service as emergency currency during WWII.

After the Banking Holiday and Emergency of 1933, FRBN ceased being issued by the Federal Reserve Banks. FRBNs received by the Fed were withdrawn and destroyed. At the request of the Fed the BEP kept a supply of unissued notes. When the BEP became burdened by war related work it asked the Fed to allow FRBN to again be issued to meet an impending shortage of currency.

Jwt708 and Muzyck like this.
  7. lettow

lettow Senior Member

QUESTION: Emergency notes issued in the Fanning Islands during WWII were later cut in half and used for what purpose?

8. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

Lottery tickets?
    Steve

9. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Tickets to a theatre. I don't know that I have ever seen a whole pound note that wasn't rejoined.

Stevearino likes this.
  10. lettow

lettow Senior Member

I have fallen behind on this.

The notes were cut in half and surcharged at 1/ and 2/ as theatre tickets.

About a dozen whole notes are known. Including one that surfaced recently as a short snorter carrying the signature of Werner Klemperer.

http://www.geminiauction.com/category.asp?inventorygroup=wd&category=World+Paper+Currency

gsalexan and Stevearino like this.
  11. lettow

lettow Senior Member

QUESTION: What US retailer had certain facilities taken over by the War Department to avert labor unrest and caused checks to be issued in the name of the Special Representative of the Secretary of War?

12. armysgti

armysgti Active Member

I am guessing some Tobacco company ????

13. lettow

lettow Senior Member

scan0001.jpg

Montgomery Ward.

From Executive Order 9508:

1. The Secretary of War is hereby authorized and directed, through and with the aid of any persons or instrumentalities that he may designate, to take possession of the plants and facilities of Montgomery Ward & Co., Incorporated, that are located in Jamaica, New York; Detroit, Dearborn, and Royal Oak, Michigan; Chicago, Illinois; St. Paul, Minnesota; Denver, Colorado; San Rafael, California; and Portland, Oregon, and any real or personal property or other assets used or useful in connection with the operation of such plants and facilities, and to operate or to arrange for the operation of such plants and facilities in any manner that he deems essential for the successful prosecution of the war.

14. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I would never had guessed that. Remarkable.

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool! I would be interested in continuing this trivia...I missed the last posted question.

armysgti likes this.
  16. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Neither would I! Great stuff, Jim!

17. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Jun 45 1 c.jpg Jun 45 1 c b.jpg This is my favorite Montgomery Ward check. It is a one cent check issued through the War Department as a refund in 1945. These were bearer checks and could be cashed or used as payment for other items at Montgomery Ward. Someone tried to cash it in 1971 and it was rejected because the account was closed. It took a lot of endorsements before that was figured out.

Jwt708 likes this.
  18. lettow

lettow Senior Member

Next question. This is the first question asked every year during the MPCFest trivia contest. Despite the fact that it is asked every year, some people still get it wrong.

In what Allied sector of Germany did the Danish Brigade that issued the Den Danske Brigade notes operate?

[​IMG]

Image from numismondo.net

Stevearino likes this.
  19. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Friesland ?

gsalexan likes this.
  20. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't know which region. But researching seems to indicate they were first in Oldenberg and then Itzehoe

21. gsalexan

gsalexan Intaglio aficionado

Well, I have a 33% chance, so I'll guess the British Sector.

Stevearino and Jwt708 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted