Military Exchange Tokens-Post Yours

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Here's the only one I have and I just bought it last month. One look and I was in love. It's from the 7th Calvary, Gen. G. A. Custer's unit. It's nice to own a piece of history like this, especially knowing that George himself once handled this token. LOL Military Post Exchange Token-Obv.jpg Military Post Exchange Token-Rev.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Cool token.

Looks familiar, though.
    Anheuser-Busch-logo.jpg

4. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Wonder if the 12½c denomination means it was struck before 1857, when half cents disappeared from circulation?

That conflicts with the fact that the Regiment was not formed until 1866, after half cents were long gone.

Or was it merely to make them an even multiple, i.e., eight tokens for a dollar?

=======
    Anheuser-Busch as a company dates sometime after 1857, obviously:

Adolphus Busch, a wholesaler who had immigrated to St. Louis from Germany in 1857, married Eberhard Anheuser's daughter, Lilly, in 1861. Following his service in the American Civil War, Busch began working as a salesman for the Anheuser brewery. Busch purchased D'Oench's share of the company in 1869, and he assumed the role of company secretary from that time until the death of his father-in-law...

Last edited: Apr 8, 2017
  5. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Military trade tokens are my passion! I hate to bring it up but Custer died before the exchange system was established. In his day the troops relied on sutlers attached to the unit for supplies not issued by the Army. Stand by and I'll blast this thread with my various military tokens. Also I'll look up your token in Cunningham and see if it's listed. There are a couple members here who collect these...actually me and @longnine009 might be the only two here who actively target them.

longnine009 and Collecting Nut like this.
  6. Collecting Nut

Now you did it. You burst my bubble. :eek: But I still love it.

longnine009 likes this.
  7. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

A "bit" or 1/8th of a dollar was actually not that uncommon of a denomination as half a quarter - "two bits" and lasted in some usage until the late 19th century - but in the stock market it lasted until the 1980s or 1990s when they finally got rid of 1/8th etc pricing in eighths.

The similarity to the Anheuser Busch logo is something.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  8. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

If you like 7th Cav. they issued tokens during Vietnam as an Air Mobile regiment. All of 1st Cav. Division was Air Mobile in Vietnam except Blackhorse who was recon armor for the division. The 7th token was: Custer's Corral VN4440.

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. longnine009

Collecting Nut and Jwt708 like this.
  10. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yup, that's a straight up ripoff and they registered the trademark as their own. Quite ballsy of them. th_4.gif

11. longnine009

12. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

13. doug444

doug444 STAMPS and POSTCARDS too!

Had another thought on the denomination. Did the 7th Cav fight in Cuba or Puerto Rico, etc., in the Spanish-American War of 1898-99? Both countries had a tradition of 12½c tokens.

14. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a reference for the 7th Cavalry logo being ripped off by Anheuser Busch?

I tried to find your token in Cunningham but no luck. It could be unlisted. Is it aluminum? What's the diameter?

During WWII Schlitz made tokens for Losey Field, Puerto Rico. Here's one I bid on but didn't win. It went for over $300.
    Losey Field obv - Copy.jpg Losey Field rev - Copy.jpg

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Here's one of my favorites, from Brooks Army Airfield. I've dated it to the interwar period, somewhere around 1927:

TX481 Brooks Field.jpg
    Brooks Field, Texas; brass, 28mm, unlisted in Cunningham, TX481

Below is another one of my favorites:

AZ1000 Luke AFB $1.jpg
    Luke Air Force Base, Arizona; brass, 28mm, unlisted in Cunningham, AZ1000. Based on the aircraft featured on the obverse, I've put the date of manufacture between 1982 and 1995. The F-15 left Luke in 1995 and didn't get the F-16 until 192.

16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Let's see if I can find another one to post...how about 4!

All of the tokens below are from Libya. Once the U.S. pulled out, this base was turned over to the Libyan government. Well, when the terrorist set off the bomb in the night club in Germany, Reagan fired missiles at this base. Thought that was interesting.

LY40a Wheelus AB 5c.jpg
    Wheelus AB, Libya; brass, 19mm, LY40a p. 197.

LY40b Wheelus AB 10c.jpg
    Wheelus AB, Libya; brass, 21mm, LY40b p. 197.

LY40c Wheelus AB 25c.jpg
    Wheelus AB, Libya; brass, 23mm LY40c p. 197. Cunningham lists this token at 22mm but mine is 23mm.

LY71 Wheelus AB 10c.jpg
    Wheelus Field, Libya; brass, 18mm, LY70e. This token is recorded in Cunningham except he writes that it has a reverse. He noted the 5 cent token had a blank reverse issue but didn't record one for the 10 cent.

17. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I could do this all night...I have over 470 tokens! But they're not all photographed

Collecting Nut and longnine009 like this.
  18. longnine009

I hope we haven't overwhelmed the OP with all this. :p Exo is not really overwhelming @Collecting Nut Just more opportunity.

Copper lover and Jwt708 like this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yep! Bill is right and you can find/make so many really interesting collections. For me I'm in the Air Force so I focus on the Air Force tokens. Trying to collect from every base and station...something that I will never complete. Another thing about exonumia is that some pieces can be incredibly rare. Prices are - from what I can tell about my area - demand driven. You can get exonumia at great prices.

longnine009 likes this.
  20. Collecting Nut

Yes it's aluminum and it's slightly larger than a quarter.

And to everyone, thank you for the pics of yours, the answers and no, I'm not overwhelmed, at least not by coins or anything to do with them. :)

21. stilicho

stilicho New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted