Military Challenge Coins... Post Yours ♤

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Cascade, Feb 14, 2016.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I put myself on the line every day Mike. My current occupation is husband and care giver, and I've carried out that assignment for many years now. If, in another time and another place, I were called upon in another capacity, I assure you I would step up to the plate. The challenge coins that JW provided me where not weighted in valor, and I appreciate them every time I look at them, and for what they were intended and what they represent.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

One key feature of the Challenge Coin - perhaps its sine qua non, its defining characteristic - it that it is unofficial. In the article that I wrote for the Georgia Numismatic Association, I cited the possible origin during the Second Boer War. The British sergeant major clasped a six pence in his handshake when he dismissed irregular troops who were not eligible for official honors.

So, that makes documentation difficult. However, it is always possible to add something more: the unit, its place in the organization, its place in geography and chronology. Any clue to the giver could be easier to establish, as for instance with a Secretary of Defense coin, but even with a general or sergeant major if you love digging in records as many numismatists do.

4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I still think it's too much of a stretch to equate challenge coin collecting with stolen valor. I have strong feelings about someone putting on a uniform, rank, or a medal they did not earn for the sake of deceiving others. If someone purchased a challenge coin for the sole purpose of lending credibility to their fictional military service, then yes, I am opposed to that. If a civilian is interested in the growth, deployment, and current state of the 27th Special Operations Wing expressed through challenge coins - so what?

I specifically gave Ken (green_18) those coins because he expressed an admiration for the men and women in uniform and a general interest in those coins. The 51st Maintenance Squadron was selling those coins as a way to generate revenue for squadron functions that are not considered official such as holiday parties. Anyone can buy those types of coins. I bought the coin and gave it to Ken because I knew he would cherish it and enjoy it in his collection. Heck, most of my challenge coins fall into this category of "unit coin." I get that they're not the same as ones earned but they serve as an attractive way to illustrate my career. In fact my challenge coin collection was my first coin collection. They tell my story starting with basic training, to my technical school, first duty station, first deployment, heck first drinking buddy, and so on.

Smojo, green18 and Circus like this.
  5. Circus

Circus Tokens Only !! TEC#4981

I have to agree with Jack on this the stolen valor aspect of the coins,is a load. When you have so many companies making them and selling them to anybody unless as Jack says it is used for a con job. Then the collecting and trading and selling is a part of a hobby. Check out this free download PDF on them.
    UAHCC-v0.99 Challenge coins pdf
    And to see what kind are now being passed out now by any body and everybody from first responders to the local towing companies!
    Sample Coins ::: Challenge Coins, Challenge Coin Displays, Military Coins, Military Challenge Coins, Challenge Coin, Military Coin, Wedding Coins, Air Force, Army, Navy, Coast Guard, Marines, Challenge Coins, Military Coins

Northwest Territorial Mint® - Custom Minting, Bullion Sales, Online Store

They make and sell the enamel pins for the Olympics, other events and they are popular for ballooning festivals and I have a collection for the ones I participated in and others balloons.
    Here are my challenge coins.
    [​IMG]
    Chris Kyles foundation one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Islander80-83, TJ1952 and Jwt708 like this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I have one from a company that makes a device used to suck fuel out of an aircraft fuel tank. I suspect they made them as an advertising tool to pass out to military members. I would post it but I don't have a picture. Man do I need some time to photo my coins!

Circus likes this.
  7. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

8. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

That looks vaguely familiar Jack............:)

Jwt708 likes this.
  9. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

Ever hear of a MEARS Team?

Islander80-83 likes this.
  10. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Are we talking Marines on small watercraft, like special operators? Then yes. If not no.

11. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

No. Mostly Navy and Air Force senior enlisted guys. They were all tradesman type guys. Certified plumbers, carpenters, electricians, HVAC, painters, etc... These guys all had TS/SCI clearances. They traveled the world to secure US Gov't facilities doing renovations, rehab's, remodeling, maintenance, repairs, upgrades, etc.. I think MEARS stood for Maintenance, Engineering, Alterations, Repair and Support Team.

They had a coin that looked like yours.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  12. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

this on my key ring IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2736.JPG

Islander80-83, Smojo, TJ1952 and 2 others like this.
  13. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Ok I see. I wasn't familiar with them but the Air Force has the same thing. We have our regular Civil Engineering then there's a special duty where you travel around the world doing just what you were talking about.

Islander80-83 and TJ1952 like this.
  14. TJ1952

TJ1952 Well-Known Member

A lot of patriotic Americans here. Thank God!

Islander80-83 and Jwt708 like this.
  15. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

image.jpeg
    I'm a Navy veteran but I honor and respect all military service.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
    dwhiz, Smojo, TJ1952 and 1 other person like this.
  16. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your service! Is that your display @Exskywarrior ? It looks like a lot of Army stuff?

17. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

When I was in ROTC, we paid these "optional dues" that would have garnered a free t shirt, free challenge coin, and discounted tickets to the ball.

Nobody who paid ever received their challenge coin, and they tried to pretend it never happened. I'm still bitter about that one.

18. Exskywarrior

Exskywarrior Well-Known Member

No not mine. It was a gift from another aging vet that wanted a good home for it. I'm a flag waving patriot four generations deep. It's a family thing

Jwt708 likes this.
  19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Way to honor the legacy!

20. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

Not a collector per se, but this one is mine:

[​IMG]

dwhiz, Smojo, TJ1952 and 2 others like this.
  21. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Nice! So you were coined by the Secretary of the Navy? Kind of a big deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted