Miletos Obol Fourrée? Really?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by gsimonel, Jun 24, 2021.

1. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

I got this in a small bulk lot. I've never seen one before. It looks like a fourrée obol from Miletos. Although the surface is very dark, it looks like silver, and under a microscope you can see what appears to be a thin layer of metal covering the exposed bronze at around 3:00 on the obverse.
    Miletos.jpg
    How strange. Size is 9mm and the weight is 1.3g.

Anyone ever seen one of these before?

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    finny, Severus Alexander and Bing like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JayAg47

JayAg47 Well-Known Member

Could be just some surface deposition?

4. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Under magnification it looks like the bronze is covered by a thin layer of silver.

5. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I'm not sure what it is you find strange. An obol had enough buying power to yield a profit to a counterfeiter or mint employee on the 'take' and it is well known that people look more carefully at $100 bills than they do $1paper. The risk of discovery was lower. I would like to know what the smallest fourree is. Mine is larger than yours at 1.5g (a Persian siglos fraction possibly 1/3???). It is well made with thick silver. I have seen but do not have plated fractions of the Croesid bull and lion type. I would love a specialty collection of tiny fourrees but I am sure 99.99% of those made would have rotted to nothing long ago.
    g71442bb2612.jpg

finny, Johndakerftw and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted