Milestone! Every member of the Severan Dynasty

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Finn235, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago I filled a hole that I truthfully never expected to be able to fill. She arrived earlier this morning, and my Severan dynasty set now has at least coin of every emperor and empress of that dynasty!

The coin:
    Annia Faustina AE Hieropolis Phrygia Actian Games.jpg
    Annia Faustina, 3rd wife of Elagabalus
    Mid-Late 221 AD
    AE23, Hierapolis, Phrygia
    ANNIA ΦAVCTEINA CEB, Draped bust right, wearing stephane; C/M: Venus holding apple?
    IEΡAΠOΛEITΩN NEΩKOΡΩN, Wreath with A-KTI-A in three lines
    Minted for Actian Games

Annia Faustina was the great-granddaughter of Marcus Aurelius' sister, and was one of the last members of that prestigious dynasty, most of whom had been wiped out by either the Antonine Plague, or else from Caracalla's purges of suspected Geta sympathizers. She was a wealthy heiress, inheriting her parents' estates and marrying the senator Pomponius Bassus. They had two children together, Pomponia Ummidia, and Pomponius Bassus, both of whom led long and prestigious lives during the later Crisis years.

In 221, her husband was killed on orders of Elagabalus, and she was forced into marrying the deranged young emperor, in a move orchestrated by Julia Maesa as damage control after the scandalous marriage to Aquilia Severa. The couple were wed in about July 221, and by the end of the year, Elagabalus decided to stand up to his grandmother, divorcing Annia Faustina and returning to Aquilia Severa. Thankfully, both Annia and her two young children were spared and allowed to return to their lives as private citizens.

I couldn't resist the urge to break them all out for a big, dysfunctional family portrait!

Severan collection.jpg

First:
    - Septimius Severus, as Augustus
    - Julia Domna, as Augusta
    - Clodius Albinus, as Caesar
    - Caracalla, as Caesar
    - Geta, as Caesar
    - Plautilla

Second:
    - Divus Septimius Severus
    - Caracalla, as Augustus
    - Geta, as Augustus
    - Julia Domna, as Pia Felix

Third:
    - Macrinus
    - Diadumenian

Fourth:
    - Elagabalus
    - Julia Paula
    - Julia Aquilia Severa
    - Annia Faustina
    - Julia Soaemias
    - Julia Maesa

Fifth:
    - Severus Alexander, as Caesar
    - Severus Alexander, as Augustus
    - Julia Mamaea
    - Orbiana

That covers every title held by every member of the imperial family, except:
    - Divus Caracalla (Looking for one)
    - Diadumenian as Augustus (Looking for one)
    - Diva Julia Domna (Out of price range)
    - Diva Julia Maesa (Likely out of price range)

Thanks for looking! As always, feel free to post those Annia Faustinas, Severans, or anything related!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Likely?
    I might point out that my Caracalla is a die match with a better one I saw offered a few years back. I probably should have bought it when I saw it. Keep looking and best wishes. I will be anxious to see yours.
    rm6870bb0960.jpg

The devil in me might point out that Septimius reverse adopted himself into the family of Pertinax and later Marcus Aurelius and even issued coins in the name of Pertinax (DIVO PERT PIVS PATER is not easy to afford). What I see in your photo is a really nice set of coins just begging more friends over to play. It never ends.

TheRed, DonnaML, Shea19 and 6 others like this.
  4. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..kool! a compeletion to be proud of! :)

Roman Collector and Finn235 like this.
  5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

WOW, @Finn235 , GREAT JOB amassing that super collection. Congrats.

LOL, you know MY feeling about that dysfunctional murder (think group of black crows) of sub-humans! :D

However, in my mind, I separate the COINS from the humans they represent. :)

Well done!

DonnaML, ominus1 and Finn235 like this.
  6. Finn235

Finn235 Well-Known Member

Thanks all! And a nice DIVO ANTONINO MAGNO there, Doug!

To elaborate on the missing coins:
    - Divus Pertinax is on my "maybe eventually" list, although I don't strictly consider it part of the Severan dynasty. Those are very rare issues, and I would probably upgrade my lifetime Pertinax before I could justify a posthumous one.
    - Ditto with Divus Commodus, although I find that issue so fascinating that I would likely jump on one as soon as it came up for sale.
    - Divus Caracalla by Elagabalus is quite rare, although rougher examples can be affordable.
    - Imperial issues for Diadumenian as Augustus are rare enough to make the EID MAR series blush - I think only about a dozen are known in all conditions? However, there are provincials floating about, are not often identified as such, and thus don't go for much premium.
    - I have only seen a handful of Diva Julia Domna, and have never seen one sell for under $1,000.
    - Diva Julia Maesa is a little less rare; CNG sold one a few years ago for $320, which is low enough for me to at least take a nibble.

Spaniard, medoraman and PeteB like this.
  7. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

@Finn235 .....Wonderful group and a great achievement!....Some lovely coins in there....Great pick up on the Annia Faustina, love the little c/m!
    Congrats....I know it's taken a lot of work and time....Paul

Finn235 likes this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever even noticed an Annia Faustina for sale. Congratulations!

Finn235 likes this.
  9. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

That's lovely, @Finn235 ! You don't see Annia Faustina every day!

Finn235 likes this.
  10. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Great milestone @Finn235! Congratulations!

Finn235 likes this.
  11. eparch

eparch Well-Known Member

An impressive collection - I am still missing several but
    do have this
    upload_2020-7-7_22-44-56.png
    DIVVS PERT PIVS PATER bare head right. Rev: CONSECRATIO

Draft saved Draft deleted