Mid 1800's small Gold California gold coins tokens? Help please

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Fleshgrl02, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Hi there,
    I have a total of (6) small mid 1800's Gold coins or tokens. What are these? Are they real gold? They look real. The years are 1849, (3) 1952, 1855, & 1859. They all say California gold on the back. Please help me identify what these are worth. Should I sell them separately or together in a lot? DSC05461.JPG DSC05462.JPG DSC05463.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

more pics. I took the coins out of this weird holder DSC05464.JPG DSC05465.JPG

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

They all appear to be copies to me.

Also, keep them out of that plastic, it contains PVC which will harm the 'pieces'.

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

They all look fake to me.

Chris

6. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

They are all modern tokens. Some may have small amount of gold in them, but they aren't from the dates stamped on them and they aren't worth all that much.

7. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

Agreed...all moderns. There are far more modern token remakes of these coins than the real thing.

8. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Ok. Thank you all for your help :)

9. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Any token with a bear on it is a reatively new copy with maybe a bit of gold plating .

10. Should the original be made of Solid gold? meaning .9000 fineness or relative.
    they should be plated or are they? (the real coins?)

11. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

The real coins are always gold , and will have the denominations on them in dollars or cents . Also none has a bear on it . Later for the tourist trade people started making them in different gold finesses and finally some were just gold plated which these most likely are.

12. robec

robec Junior Member

The writing was also a little cruder, with the letters not so uniform.

Draft saved Draft deleted