Microscope

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Susansfgfan, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Susansfgfan

Susansfgfan New Member

Hi i am fairly new at this and I look at my coins with a loop, I would like to know what type of microscpe would be good for looking at coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Are you looking for a visual microscope, or an electronic one to view the image on a computer monitor?

4. Susansfgfan

Susansfgfan New Member

I was thinking visual I did not know there is an electronic one for viewing on monitor interested in both now.

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

If you want cheap and poor definition, USB is the one. If you can find a lab binocular scope with glass lens, that you can attach a camera to , that is much better in the long run. IMO. I have and have used both kinds, but still IMO. Jim

p.s If you want to see and photograph the inside of your mouth or nose, etc. USB is better at that :)

6. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

7. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Rick Stachowski likes this.
  8. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

9. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

10. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

I think the first question for you to answer is why do you want a microscope?
    But you may have already answered that for yourself.
    And if so then that should narrow the type of microscope you need.

11. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

No need to go further than Lincoln Maniacs choice. An old B&L is EXACTLY what you want. But if you want pictures from your view then the merry-go-round continues. You also need a good intense light source with B&M. Just a good desk lamp that can focus about half a foot of the coin. That is a GREAT PRICE on that link!!!

John Lorenzo
    Numismatist
    United States

12. desertgem

That is a transmitted light microscope for thinly sliced tissue. Coin would have to be transparent. Or you would have to still find room to arrange an external light source from the top to reflect light from the surfaces.

13. Rick Stachowski

I would just use a desk lamp, or two .
    Should work on coins too, I would think ..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

If thinking about spending in that general range, the bellows setup some here use may be an ideal option for you, or may at least be worth looking into.

I assume you're familiar, but....

http://www.macrocoins.com/

15. Rick Stachowski

Those look very nice .
    But I really want to stay in the 300 dollar range .

16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Trust me; to this I can certainly relate.

If memory serves me, I believe DesertGem has shared photos taken with an APS-C sensor Samsung using extension tubes, but I forget if he used them for more detailed work or simple closeups. The greater point is that even with wishing to stick to a budget, there are a number of inexpensive camera options that will allow for significantly greater resolution for very little money. One can sometimes find older APS-C DSLRs in the 10-12mp range for under $100, and even some of the M43 (Micro Four Thirds) camera can be had used for in the same range, also 12mp (some 16mp iirc).

Lens options are vast, but one doesn't necessarily need to cough up for a one of the very costly macros often suggested here. Some older manual focus macros can be had for very little, but other options such as extension tubes or lens reversal can achieve the same or greater magnification for a pittance.

Just to be clear, I know imaging coins is important to you so the above is only intended as friendly suggestions that may be worth exploring before making a final decision. There are all sorts of websites, forum posts, etc dedicated to what could be described as lens hacking, with many showing rather impressive macro work. The best of luck with whatever you choose. :)

17. desertgem

The auto extension tubes cost a total of $40 and work quite well using the removable lens that came with the camera. I also have used an old 4X microscope objective in a m-42 adapter with them also. Vary flat field, seems better for 'flat things' like coins. The extension tubes/normal camera lens works better for gemstones. Often I just hold the camera to one of the eyepieces and use a remote shutter release to reduce vibrations.

Also read about stacking ( less expensive/ some free software found on astronomical sites) now used extensively in macro photography. Jim

18. rmpsrpms

rmpsrpms Lincoln Maniac

Based on the OP, I concluded that viewing was the main goal, while photographing was secondary. The B&L scope can do well for viewing, and the occasional photographing using your phone or a cheap camera. If photographing is more important, then I usually recommend a system as follows:

Canon Rebel XS camera
    M42 adapters, extensions, helicoids, etc
    Nikon 75mm lens (if not wanting to go beyond 2:1)
    Nikon 50mm lens (if wanting to go up to 4:1)
    Cheap tripod or homemade copy stand

The above system would cost you ~$250.

Note that the Canon camera and free software that comes with it allows you to view the image on-screen, and zoom-in for looking at details and for fine focusing, sort of like a USB microscope but with better image quality.

If you want to do very high quality closeups, you can substitute a microscope objective for the lenses above, for about the same price. Problem with this is that focus stacking is usually required to get best results. Better optics means less depth of field, so focus stacking is needed to get everything in clear focus. Lower quality optics means more depth of field, so single images can work, but are of course not as sharp or clear.

19. Susansfgfan

Susansfgfan New Member

wow I'm amazed at all the responses I got with this question. Everyone is so knowledgeable I feel like I'm in over my head. I think with a little bit of patience there's a lot to be learned here! Thank you all for taking the time to answer. One more question how, and on what forum can I post photos?

Stevearino likes this.
  20. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you can post pics by cliking "upload a file"

21. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Good stuff - we bystanders can learn a lot about a lot

giphy (2).gif

Draft saved Draft deleted