Microscope camera suggestions?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AirborneReams, Sep 23, 2020.

1. AirborneReams

AirborneReams Supporter! Supporter

I’ve been taking a lot of pictures lately for my personal inventory and for coins I am listing for sale. The only issue is all I have is my iPhone.. it takes great pictures I can’t complain but I am a little bit! I noticed a lot of people that probably sell a little bit are using things like Dino-Lite to take high resolution scans, and probably some editing because a lot of coins almost look cartoonish.. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good beginner microscope camera? Nothing expensive because I’m just starting out and will upgrade to a higher name brand down the road, especially if this thing stays afloat for me. I found some decent ones on amazon but most of them start off at the 40Xs range and go up, I believe that would be a bit to close. The best rated one I found that’s affordable on is called the YINAMA 4.3 1080p. Any suggestions otherwise would be great! Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Penny Luster

Penny Luster Well-Known Member

4. jafo50

jafo50 Active Member

I have an (expensive) Dino-Lite microscope and to be honest I've seen photos taken and posted on this forum with $40 USB microscopes that look just as good if not better then the Dino-Lite. I only use the Dino-Lite when looking for varieties and use my macro setup for photos. The USB microscope that Penny provided the link for looks just fine for the money.

5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

You need one with a ratched horizontal stand that is tall enough to image Morgans and the like. Most have stands that are too short and can barely image a cent in full. Over time and use the flexible stands become floppy and you really want a stable platform for accuracy.Also 5 mpixels is the minimum if you don't want too much pixelation when you zoom closer.

AirborneReams and Inspector43 like this.
  6. Penny Luster

I agree. I am going to clamp mine to a tripod for stability, and also to control the focus for all the coin sizes. It is very lightweight.

AirborneReams and expat like this.
  7. techwriter

techwriter Well-Known Member

Had one for years and it works really good for my purposes. Examples
    nfld_1885_ee_obv_05.jpg 1858_rotated_obv.jpg S20151113_0004.jpg S20151027_0020.jpg S20151102_0007.jpg

I think these demonstrate possibilities with the little thing.

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Here is a photo of my setup. The Morgan is shown on my desktop monitor and actual coin is on the microscope platform below. This is a $40 setup. Look up some previous threads on microscopes and you will get a lot of good information.
    IMG_5924.JPG

9. Penny Luster

Is your only light source on the camera, or is that a light on the right?

10. Inspector43

The only light is that on the camera. On the right is the stand that came with the camera. It is too short to be useful on larger coins. The one the camera is mounted on is a taller stand that I had from an earlier camera that quit working.

Penny Luster likes this.
  11. Inspector43

This is a MUSTCAM with 10X to 300X and 5 MP. For coins you should not have more than 300X unless you are doing some sort of professional work. The stand that comes with this is too short and is not a ratchet. Also, I won't use a flexible goose neck thing as they are too hard to get in focus and move easily. Good Luck.

AirborneReams and Penny Luster like this.
  12. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Based on recommendations on CT I bought the Plugable USB 2.0 Digital Microscope with Flexible Arm Observation Stand Compatible with Windows, Mac, Linux (2MP, 250x Magnification), mentioned above by Penny Luster. It was $39.95 from Amazon, with free shipping. Besides the recommendations, I checked the customer ratings and the Q&As on Amazon. What impressed me about the Q&As was that on many, many of them, the manufacturer's rep responded - that convinced me!

I did find the flexible arm too short and a bit awkward for coins larger than a Nickel, especially to keep parallel to the base. You'll definitely want to get an inexpensive bubble level to set on top to check (got one thru Home Depot for $2.36). For about $5 I made a nice, adjustable stand from parts I got at HD.

I have been very pleased with the results. I have a couple of postings with coin pics. I can send or post more details and pics of the apparatus, if you want.

13. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

I just bought this same microscope and it can not even be adjusted (on the set up that it comes with) to take a photo of a whole nickel. I purchased an extension piece of threaded "pipe" to be able to get full pictures.

14. AirborneReams

That’s surprising you’d think Dino-lite would be noticeably top tier!

15. Penny Luster

I have been putting mine on top of stacked coin albums books and stuff to get the distance right. It is a real pain. I am going to try to attach it to a tripod.

Inspector43 and AirborneReams like this.
  16. AirborneReams

Penny Luster likes this.
  17. AirborneReams

Sounds like the scope for me since so many people recommend it! Was your set up at home difficult to do?

Penny Luster and Inspector43 like this.
  18. Inspector43

You can get Rack & Pinion stands that will go to the height needed for larger coins. But, it seems that the stand alone costs more than the scope. The stand I use which is very solid and is right for larger coins is onw that I had from an earlier scope.

19. AirborneReams

What microscope are you using?

20. AZSteve

AZSteve Well-Known Member

Airborne - Not with what I had - I will do a write-up & pics on it in the next day or two.

AirborneReams likes this.
  21. Inspector43

This is a MUSTCAM with 10X to 300X and 5 MP. For coins you should not have more than 300X unless you are doing some sort of professional work. The stand that comes with this is too short and is not a ratchet. Also, I won't use a flexible goose neck thing as they are too hard to get in focus and move easily. Good Luck.
    Also see #7 post above.

Penny Luster and AirborneReams like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted