Microscope Advice

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by AnitaMore, Mar 23, 2023.

1. AnitaMore

AnitaMore Member

I'm looking for a good inexpensive coin microscope. How many pixels? Any suggestions?

lardan likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Try Wizard coin supplies In Herdon Va. They probably have the best prices for coin and stamp supplies.
    Plus they are great to deal with. Two thumbs up ;)

Marsden and Mark1971 like this.
  4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Agreed, try Wizard.

Marsden and lardan like this.
  5. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

If you get one let us now what you decide on. I'm interested in this too.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

@AnitaMore …the scope needs to have 3 Megapixel capability or better. Inexpensive ones tend to have 2MP and result in pixelation problems.

Make sure the one you get works with your computer’s OS (operating system).
    …imo…Spark

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Supporter! Supporter

My opinion would be based upon why you want one. I have three, and very rarely use any of them, especially since I upgraded to a iPhone.
    You can pick up decent enough small ones for around $20, but then if you need real magnification, it would be worthless.
    My experience has been that people with only microscopes, or use them consistently, tend to "find" so many errors (NOT) that it is actually an encumbrance.

Insider likes this.
  8. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Agree. I've been dealing with a new collector with a microscope that thinks every tiny hit or reflection on a coin seen at 30X is a doubled die or Mint error! :facepalm::rolleyes: And now I'm the :rage: bad guy along with the rest of the experienced :bookworm::cigar:members here. :vomit:

Mountain Man likes this.
  9. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Oh, but it can magnify over 100,000X times and can show on a video screen, 3D images of bumps, doubling, and scratches the size of a bacteria's height. You could charge by the number of "variations" :) . They used to be ( 20+Years ago) about $5000-7,000 for a student level when I took a summer class at a university with a new toy. My cheapo college never would buy one as they were only producing nurses and not pre-med. Instead they put in a cadaver room, but after one cadaver went south, it is being remodeled into a spare office :) Jim

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

AnitaMore, The very devisive numbers of "pixels" and "magnification" is used freely by dealers and suppliers. What is important to get an excellent image is "resolution"( how close 2 things can be to each other and be seen as 2 rather than 1 blurry). Cheap lens have low resolution ( usually plastic ones)and use the screen size to scream how great the image is. Large it is, but sharp , it is not. I mostly use a 10X Belomo triplet lens ( about $30 )when I go to shop. The 3 different lens brings all of the wavelengths to sharpness in image and color and it is carried easily. Of course Insider may not have the joy of all the newly found oddities. Jim

lardan and Insider like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted