Michael Metcalf Died

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by FitzNigel, Nov 19, 2018.

1. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

seth77, EWC3, green18 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Very sad to hear. A true legend in Byzantine and early Medieval coin circles.

BenSi and FitzNigel like this.
  4. BenSi

BenSi Well-Known Member

I am so sorry to hear this, he was one of the last of the last generation who enlightened us in many aspects of Medieval/ Byzantine coinage. I have and use several of his books. We lost one of the greats.

In my own collecting focus of tetartera he was the first to note billion tetartera. Small example of his many achievements in the field of numismatics.

FitzNigel likes this.
  5. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

i've heard of him altho i don't have too much in that area..

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

An most notable scholar lost, but his works remain. Rejoice in the fact that he has contributed much in the realm of ancient numismatics.......

7. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

Sorry to hear

8. EWC3

EWC3 (mood: stubborn)

Thanks for this sad news, and the link.

I can confirm what Nick Mayhew writes about Michael Metcalf’s generosity. One time I sent him a an early version of my most radical piece of writing (Gyges Magic Ring). He must have read it all carefully – since he quickly replied giving me an even more ancient source for a Persian political position than the one I had cited (and it was cited towards the very end of my text!) He treated arguments with the respect objectivity demands, and people generously with his time.

I guess the 1966 episode Nick Mayhew refers to was a clash between Metcalf and Grieson? Grierson had intellectual roots way back in the Cambridge of the 1930’s. Never a communist, but rather “a friend of Russia”. The younger man, Metcalf, admired the alternative ideals of the early post WWII period, most especially those of Popper’s “Open Society”. I seem to recall he put a remembrance of Popper in one of his numismatic articles.

Having said that, both men treated collectors and professional academics just the same, addressing positions objectively, in a generous spirited collegiate way. Both men were collectors themselves. Michael always replied on first name basis.

Those days are slipping away fast now

Rob T

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    FitzNigel, Alegandron and BenSi like this.
  9. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Saddened by the news like every fan of medieval numismatics.

10. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

He lived a full numismatic life and will be missed.

Draft saved Draft deleted