Michael I Rhangabe...

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Quant.Geek, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

After the disastrous Battle of Pliska, where Emperor Nicephorus I died in battle and his skull was silvered and turned into a wine cup, Staurakios ascended to the throne. Unfortunately, he was too injured from the battle having suffered a severed spine to hold onto the throne and thus it passed to Michael I, the son-in-law of Nicephorus I. Michael I was crowned emperor on Oct 2, 811.

Michael I short reign ended with yet another disastrous campaign against Khan Krum at the Battle of Versinikia in June 22, 813. Fearing the end was near, he abdicated to his general, Leo V the Armenian and retired to the monastery.

Below are most of the coins issued by Michael I. The notable exceptions are his gold coins.

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) AR Miliaresion, Constantinople (Sear 1616; DOC III.3)

Obv: IhSЧS XRIS-tЧS ҺICA; Cross potent on three steps; triple border
    Rev: +MIXA/HL S ΘЄOFV/LACtЄ ЄC Θ'/ bASILIS RO/mAIOҺ legend in five lines; triple border
    Dim: 2.16 g

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) Æ Follis, Constantinople (Sear 1617; DOC III.7, attributed to Michael II)

Obv: mIXAHL bASILЄ; Crowned facing bust, wearing loros, holding globus cruciger and scepter
    Rev: Large M between X/X/X and N/N/N; cross above; A below

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1624; DOC III.9; Anastasi 477)

Obv: M-I/X/A; Crowned bearded bust of Michael facing, wearing loros and holding cross potent
    Rev: M-I/X/A; Crowned beardless bust of Michael facing, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger
    Dim: 18mm, 2.11 g, 6h

[​IMG]

Byzantine Empire: Michael I Rhangabe (811-813) Æ Follis, Syracuse (Sear 1625; DOC III.10)

Obv: M-I/X/A; Crowned bearded bust of Michael facing, wearing loros and holding cross potent
    Rev: θЄOΦV; Crowned beardless bust of Theophylactus facing, wearing chlamys and holding globus cruciger
    Dim: 18mm, 2.51 g, 6h
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

You, sir, win the award for most attention-grabbing intro sentence to a Coin Talk post. Oh, and also, nice coins, thanks for sharing.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  4. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Excellent. I have a Michael the amorian and Theophilus follis... Michael was an iconoclast. Currently on my phone so I can't post the pic...

Quant.Geek likes this.
  5. Quant.Geek

Here is a picture of Khan Krum receiving the skull cup of Nicephorus I as illustrated in Madrid Skylitzes. As a general note, the Sicilian coins of Michael I are scarce to rare and thus rarely shows up in auction.

[​IMG]

Parthicus, Marsyas Mike and Edessa like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Michael II the Amorian and Theophilus, 820-829 A.D. One of my early photos....

amorian1.jpg

amorian2.jpg

Bing, Quant.Geek, Parthicus and 2 others like this.
  7. Quant.Geek

Nice! I love the folles during this period, including the so-called X's and N's!

Draft saved Draft deleted