MFB Gem in Bezel

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Nicholas Molinari, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

I didn't bid on any coins this time around (though the Iaitas and Metropolis MFBs were among the finest of those types), but I did get this!

It is a very early depiction of a man-faced bull head in an ancient gem, described by the auction house as an "abstract demon". The beard is clear enough, however, and I have no doubt it was intended to represent Acheloios.

I'd tentatively date it 7th to 6th century, and western Semitic (Cypro-Phoenician most likely).

This was a very important time in the MFB's journey west and this item was likely owned by one of the mercenaries or seer-healers I talk about in chapter 2.

image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice addition, Nic. I don't have any ancient artifacts.

Nicholas Molinari likes this.
  4. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Very cool! How big is it?

5. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Awesome Gem! Wonderful complement to your coins!

6. Nicholas Molinari

Thanks. I have a friend who specialized in Iron Age Cypriot burials so I'm hoping she can tell me how such items were worn. Was it hung from a necklace or did it fasten a cloak or what? If anyone knows of anything please let me know.

Alegandron likes this.
  7. Nicholas Molinari

27mm long, 12mm wide (including bezel).

Jwt708 and Alegandron like this.
  8. Alegandron

I am starting to collect Egyptian Scarabs. I have not finished your book... but were there any MFB's at all in Egyptian history / mythology?

9. Nicholas Molinari

A few, see the end of Chapter 1. Once the Greek were in more close contact they appear more regularly.

Hathor or Bat are said to be depicted as female faced cows but I don't know how solid the attribution is. The top of the Narmer pallet has two such figured but I wouldn't be surprised if they were Egyptian gateway deities similar to the Near Eastern counterparts.

Alegandron likes this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I think it is a ring (meant for wearing on a finger) whose band has been squashed at some point in time.

Alegandron and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  11. Nicholas Molinari

I think you're right based on similar examples I'm seeing online.

12. Alegandron

I agree. As I have looked for ancient items, I run across the same thing with rings... Smashed a bit. :) or, maybe a ticked off lover returning the ring. :)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  13. Nicholas Molinari

I like it even more now- the ring of a priest of Acheloios!

TIF likes this.
  14. Nicholas Molinari

My colleague says I should research the type of stone, because that will tell me more precise dating and whether or not it was worn by priest or warrior. I'm leaning towards priest as a gut reaction but sounds like a fun project!

15. Alegandron

LOL... don't get your hopes up.... it was a smashed ring...scorned lover! :D :D :D

Bing and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  16. Nicholas Molinari

So it looks like this is probably from Marion, Cyprus, Late Iron Age to Early archaic. See similar bezel in photo.

image.jpeg

Incidentally, man-faced bulls have been found at Marion, see attached candelabrum dating to the 6th century. There is also a silver MFB mask amulet found by the Swedes. See pages 20 and 22 of Potamikon:
    image.jpeg

So according to the works I've seen this was purposely bent and therefore worn as a necklace ornament. The attachment piece is simply missing.

zumbly and Alegandron like this.
  17. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

Any chance the gem pre dates the setting?

18. Nicholas Molinari

Maybe. The excerpt from the French essay posted on Forvm mentions the use of scarabs in Cypriot graves starting in the Late Bronze Age (if my reading of the French is correct!), so there's certainly a chance it is older. Do you ask because it is somewhat crudely engraved?

19. Nicholas Molinari

I'd like to know if milky pink quartz is native to Cyprus and when it was in fashion, and also what it signifies. I can't find a translation of the Near Eastern
    Abnu šikinšu, which describes the properties and significance of different stones, only brief excerpts.

20. Carausius

Carausius Brother, can you spare a sestertius?

No, I just wanted to suggest that you not necessarily focus on the setting (ring) in dating the gem, which is the part you most care about. The gem may have been carved and circulated (traded, robbed, etc) for many years before it was set in this ring.

Alegandron and Nicholas Molinari like this.
  21. Nicholas Molinari

That's a really good point and I'll certainly investigate further.

The attached picture is a lapis lazuli MFB that was found in s child's grave but dated to hundreds of years earlier than the child.

image.jpeg

In keeping with the tradition that the MFB was a protector of children, when my son Nico was born and sent to the NICU for 8 days, his eponymous "uncle", my coauthor Nico, sent him this lapis lazuli MFB, c. 1000 BC from Anatolia.

image.png

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    zumbly, Johndakerftw and Alegandron like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted