MFA - A coin sold in 1949 from the Christies Auction Plate & today

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by SwK, May 11, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

HOW A PICTURE CAN MISLEAD - THE LEFT IS FROM THE 1949 CAT. what is your opinion?

PLOTINA FITZWILLIAM 108.jpg

By date unknown: Earl Fitzwilliam Collection; by 1949: with Christie, Manson & Woods, Ltd., Spencer House, 27 St. James's Place, St. James's Streeet, London, S.W. 1 (Christie's auction of the Earl Fitzwilliam Collection, sold by order of the Earl Fitzwilliam's Wentworth Estates Company, May 30-31, 1949, lot 108)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Carthago

Carthago Does this look infected to you?

I think it's a fabulous provenance, and as is typical with older cast photo plates, it makes the surfaces look better than they are in real life. Not to say the surfaces of the coin are bad or anything!

4. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Cool coin, SwK ... it is really neat seeing the ol' black & white version from the 40's compared to the "nowadays" version

=> It's kinda like comparing old silent films against today's effects!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

... ahhh, the good ol' days

Last edited: May 13, 2016
    spirityoda and Theodosius like this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wonderful coin! Probably collectors back in the day learned to size up photos of casts, expecting the surfaces to be a bit rougher in real life. What I find puzzling is the difference in aspect ratios between the shots. Which pics were taken at a 90-degree angle to the center of the coin? Or did the cast copy shrink in cooling?

Stevearino and Alegandron like this.
  6. SwK

SwK Junior Member

Sorry I just bought the Cat and the person who aquired it for me scanned the plate and it was done at an angle as he did not want to break the binding. You are correct

Theodosius likes this.
  7. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Ah. That explains it! Thank you.

8. ancientcoinguru

ancientcoinguru Well-Known Member

I like seeing these photos side-by-side, really nice provenance!

9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Great coin and great provenance. Very nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted