Mexico Spanish Colony 8 Reales 1821. Too damaged?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by StraitsCoins, Mar 24, 2017.

1. StraitsCoins

StraitsCoins New Member

I got super good help on my first post, so I decided to ask another question to the community.

I have this coin which I think is a 1821 Mexico Spanish Colony 8 Reales coin.

As the pictures show it is however a bit damaged. Some letters along the rim are close to being “erased”.

Is this damage substantial enough to make the coin close to worthless as a collectable?

Thanks for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

It looks like it got some good use, and still collectible. I cannot comment much more about it, as in authenticity, etc. I like the surfaces and think it would grade clean.
    Nice!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  4. StraitsCoins

StraitsCoins New Member

Thanks for your answer! I'm very happy to hear that this coin is still collectible. I think this might be the oldest coin in my collection:)

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

That's just wear. I can't grade these, but it should grade.

6. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

I'm not an expert but it looks authentic to me. I think it's a nice, collectible, historic coin. Maybe not worth the money to send it to be graded, but definitely worth putting in a 2x2 or non-PVC flip and keeping

7. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

It looks like it is from the Mexico City mint. That would make it the least expensive of all the mints, but still is still a minimal collectible grade in my opinion. I'd probably be willing to pay up to $20 if I wanted such a coin.

8. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

That coin is a nice example and readable. Given the age, not bad.

9. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

8 Reales are always fairly popular. It may not be worth a ton but it would be a coin I'd have in my collection.

10. Colonialjohn

Colonialjohn Active Member

https://www.amazon.com/Counterfeit-...F8&qid=1490379646&sr=1-1&keywords=gurney+coin

Try this book and you will no longer be confused with Spanish American coin purchases and alot of other purchases like what are the signs for typical Chinese forgeries. BTW when you see this level of blue tonight you can bet the Ag level is close to 90% and genuine. Nice coin. Typical striking weakness and its either damage or could be lamination. JPL

11. kevin McGonigal

kevin McGonigal Well-Known Member

There's a close connection to US History here. Stephen Austin was in the process of bringing American settlers into Spanish Mexico when that coin was minted. Shortly after that Mexico rebelled against Spanish rule and Austin supported the Mexican uprising (and thus had his land grants confirmed) and with that uprising the new Mexican Government changed the design of the coin. That coin circulated as US legal tender coinage until 1857 and many of these dollars found their way into the Confederate States of America Treasury as backing for CSA paper notes. A lot of history in that coin and with that wear think of how many people used it to buy heavens knows what. Heft that weighty coin in the palm of your hand and connect yourself in space and time to those people.

sakata likes this.
  12. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think we need to be clear on what you are asking. Anything is collectible and worth something intrinsically to a collector who has interest in such item. In this case, and I cannot comment on authenticity, the coin is clearly collectible. Now, if you're asking if it's worth a certain amount of money and thus worth buying or holding onto, that's a different question. I'm not sure how to best answer that except to say that I find these coins and that era very fascinating. I have a few of my own that I just recently purchased. I will admit I paid $25 for each coin and am happy with my purchases. IMG_8530-horz.jpg IMG_8532-horz.jpg IMG_8534-horz.jpg IMG_8536-horz.jpg

Pickin and Grinin and Nathan401 like this.
  13. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Right. Probably way more people spent that 8 real coin than ever spend any morgan dollar.

Oh, and how did Maria Theresa sneak in?

Seattlite86 likes this.
  14. Seattlite86

I assumed it was a restrike, but I wasn't sure which one, and it looked like it had a nice story to tell so I bought her as well.

15. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

Hard to tell. Most restrikes are not so well worn so maybe not. But I don't know. This page may help:

http://www.theresia.name/en/svariants.html

Seattlite86 likes this.
  16. Seattlite86

Thank you, that is very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't have access to that coin for a good while, but I will do my due diligence in a couple of years when it's back in my hands. I agree that a coin that worn suggests it is at least an earlier restrike.

17. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I like it because, the wear has toned very nicely.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

I don't see any damage at all.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  19. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll jump in. Just even circulation and a good get. Have fun with it. Remember, at this time Mexico was huge. It's ironic that a few months after the treaty with Mexico sold Mexican America to the US, gold was struck in California. Consider how history would have changed if it was discovered a few months before the signing the
    Treaty. Think about that for a bit. Cheers to all.

20. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

It was actually discovered a few days before the treaty was sign. But communications were so slow in those days that word did not get out until after the signing. I read this in an old Numismatist magazine from the '50s but could not quote the specific source.

Draft saved Draft deleted