Mexico Spanish COB?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Pat C., Aug 4, 2015.

1. Pat C.

Pat C. New Member

Hello. I'm hoping someone can confirm the ID of this coin and suggest a value. Thanks for any help that is offered.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

looks real (or reale-- yuck, yuck.)

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Looks like you found a piece of sunken treasure. Watch out, Spain may lay claim to it.

swamp yankee and spirityoda like this.
  5. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I believe it's a Spanish homeland type 2 reales of Philip III rather than a Mexico or other colonial issue. Value around $50.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. monetarium

monetarium Member

It could be from Bolivia too and maybe it is Philip II. Too bad that the Spaniards had to mint them in such crude designs, but of course they had to take them out of the American continent in order to pay for their European wars... Cool item though! Agree with Numismat that they sell for about $50.

Numismat likes this.
  7. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Nice fine. Thanks for sharing. :smuggrin:

8. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I'm not super familiar with these, but I remember the Spanish homeland types have the denomination horizontal rather than vertical like this. And also some of the Philip III pieces have a coat of arms with two shields, with the one at the top looking like the Portuguese shield. The combination of these led me to my conclusion. My apologies to the OP if it's not a solid identification :)

9. Pat C.

Pat C. New Member

Thanks to everyone for your input!

Draft saved Draft deleted