MEXICO REVOLUTION OAXACA S953e PERFORATED BANKNOTE

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Vasilis13, Jul 16, 2021.

?

Hello, Does anybody knows the reason/meaning of this perforation? Is it a cancellation mark?

1. CANCELLATION MARK

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. FAKE

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Where is the perforation?
    Is that black mark a perforation?

4. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

5. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I’m guessing it’s damage, but I’m not certain. An inexpensive note.

FCB0EF1B-7CD6-4A3F-92C8-52D77836A410.jpeg

6. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

Yes, exactly; it's not a round one, it's not unique either, as there are more than 10 pcs with the same mark/perforation in the lot I recently bought.

7. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

As I have about 10 pcs with the same mark, I think it's not a damaged note. About it's value, in accordance with the G. Cuhaj world paper money specializes issues catalogue, it's cost estimate is $135 in XF, thus I wouldn't take it as an inexpensive note.

8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

It looks like a counting mark to me.

9. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

The point is that it's not a mark made by a marker; it's holed!

10. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Just a side note here since the objects are commemorating the Mexican Revolution. Last year I found a bronze ring while metal detecting and an archeologist who specializes in Spanish relics has examined it and is in love with it. It has a “coin” mounted on it and on the outside is a replica of an Incan calendar. But on the inside there is a face belonging to Father Miguel Hidalgo who is called THE FATHER OF THE MEXICAN REVOLUTION. He led the revolution until his capture, torture and execution by firing squad in 1811.
    The archeologist believes it was likely made in Vera Cruz and probably belonged to a Spanish priest. He thinks the face was hidden for political reasons.
    Note how heavily made it was. When do you ever see a ring with 8 prongs? E9F0F6CC-5911-4F8A-B18B-48473FB582CB.jpeg F87BC115-1CAB-4810-8EF1-BB1D1793029F.jpeg 4F3D94BE-062C-4429-AD54-F0B84CB49156.jpeg 40191D87-480D-46F5-8199-E044C22B994D.jpeg 3C7F67DC-9C43-43B2-B30A-73F37BEE423E.jpeg

11. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

If you were to stack the 10 notes together, one atop another, would the perforations all line up, as if they were all made at the same time? or Are the perforations independently different from each other?

Either way, the perforation(s) could be a form of cancellation mark, denoting that the bill is no longer in circulation, or is no longer recognized by the Central Bank.

Never having seen those particular perforations before, I'm only guessing, although I have seen other perforations before, mostly round ones, that mean that same thing.

If I'm not mistaken, over time, Mexico has demonetized many series of notes.

12. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

I don’t want to argue about prices. I’m simply showing where notes similar to yours have SOLD.
    C3D55BA7-581E-4BE3-9332-38CFC4152AB2.jpeg

Bradley Trotter and Hookman like this.
  13. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

Yes, sure; I did understand your intention, there's no problem. In general the prices that similar notes were sold at HA are those in the market. However, some particular series are more expensive, as shown in the attached file. S953.jpg

14. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

Attached Files:

15. Vasilis13

Vasilis13 New Member

As it seems on the image the perforations are equal in size & angle. I suppose it's a kind of cancellation mark, made for some reason we ignore...

16. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Those two don't appear to line up. I'd like to know what punching device makes that shape.

Draft saved Draft deleted