Mexico - Estados Unidos - Varieties

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Robidoux Pass, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Robidoux Pass

Robidoux Pass Well-Known Member

While attempting to accurately catalog modern Mexico coins, I'm having significant challenges distinguishing some of the varieties, such as small date/large date or wide date/narrow date or thick date/thin date. Is anyone aware of a comprehensive website that shows photos of each variety? Absent that, is there a book with comprehensive photos or diagrams of the varieties?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jasanche

Jasanche Member

There are huge varieties of Mexican coins (open/closed 8's and 9's, flat/rounded 3's, 3/5 corn rows, etc, etc.) Some recognized with different KM numbers, and some that are not.

There are several knowledgeable individuals at Numista.com who, I think, are doing a great job at cataloguing the varieties. Theirs, though, is an ongoing effort. So, there may be ones that have not been documented.

John

4. Robidoux Pass

Thanks for the advice. I've been on the Numista site. Although the varieties are noted, I did not find photographs that illustrated them. For example, if you only have one coin how does one know if it is the large date or the small date?

5. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

In the local border area, this is the most commonly used guidebook. Includes value ( ignore as all printed value guides) and an indication as to the varieties values. It is not a comprehensive guide to ALL or even minor varieties, which I like as they do not fall into my collecting. Amazon have some used as well as newer editions which I haven't seen. Jim
    The lesser varieties are not visualized, so other references are probably needed, and I find world coin sites often have many of them. Jim

https://www.amazon.com/Guide-Book-Mexican-Coins-1822/dp/B001VC3CI8/

6. Robidoux Pass

Thanks for the reference, Jim. I've ordered the book.

Draft saved Draft deleted