Mexico City Mint Medals

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Al Kowsky, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

One topic that doesn't seem to get a lot of attention is Mexico City Mint medals. This is surprising considering the Mexico City Mint is the oldest mint in the New World, striking its 1st coin in 1536 & its 1st medal in 1701. One reason for this may be the lack of numerous reference sources for collectors. The only serious reference source I'm aware of is two books authored by Frank Grove & copyrighted in 1972. Medals of Mexico, Volume II, 1821-1971, by Frank Grove when available usually sell for $125.00 in good used condition. Volume I is rarer than hens teeth. I assembled a pretty nice collection of these medals in the early 1970s when most of these medals were inexpensive, shortly after Grove's Volume II became available. The Mexico City Mint struck medals in copper / bronze, silver, & gold, & most of these medals are silver dollar size. Larger medals are less common & sell for much more, depending on mintage figures. Most of the gold medals are rare today due to the rising value of gold bullion. When the gold price hit $1,900.00 an ounce many of the gold medals hit the melting pot. I'm ashamed to admit it, but my 5 gold medals hit the melting pot too :shame:. The mint struck medals for fairs & expositions, famous people, special events like the Olympics, scholastic medals, & medals for businesses & commercial purposes. Attached below are photos of 3 of my favorites.
    The 1st medal was struck in 1901 for the 2nd Pan-American Conference & given to delegates who visited the Mexico City Mint. It is bronze, 60 mm in dia., & weighs 65.6 gm. Medals in silver are very rare.
    The 2nd medal was struck in 1947 & commemorates the 400th year of the birth of Miguel de Cervantes. It is struck in silver, 45 mm in dia., weighs 57.8 gm., & has a mintage of 123 pcs. Two examples were struck in gold.
    The 3rd medal was struck in 1950 & commemorates the 25th anniversary of a group of lawyers who attended the National University of Mexico. It was struck in silver, 60 mm in dia., weighs 97.0 gm., & has a mintage of 250 pcs. 324 pieces were struck in gold.
    IMG_6369 (2).JPG IMG_6372.JPG IMG_6330.JPG IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6335.JPG IMG_6338 (2).JPG
    If any CoinTalk members have Mexican medals you'd like to post lets see them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

Does this count as one?
    I briefly owned this one. I thought the design was great but the eye appeal of this particular example wasn’t up to my standards.

EED67C52-EE61-4785-9058-36896253F028.jpeg

Jaelus and Jasanche like this.
  4. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

ddddd, your medal certainly counts & is one of the most popular medals struck at the Mexico City Mint. 66,275 pcs. were struck, they are 36mm in dia., & weigh on average 21.8 gm. I've got one of these too, but the medal you had is better than the one I've got.

ddddd likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted