Mexico 1977 Thin/Thick Date 1 Peso

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by stldanceartist, Sep 25, 2016.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Good morning everyone!

Hope you all are enjoying your Sunday so far.

Just purchased a roll of BU Mexican 1 Peso coins yesterday (thought it was all 1977, but apparently there was also one 1979 in there), and as I'm going through it today. I see that there are some varieties of the thin/thick date. Found one that's definitely the 1977 thin date (noticeably different than the others) and the 1979 is also a thin date.

My question: What is the relative scarcity of the variety? For the 1977, NGC Price Guide lists the Thin @ $16.50 in MS63 and the Thick @ $1.25 in MS63, so it appears that there is a pretty decent premium on the variety. (And, of course, the one thin date that I have was the ugliest coin in the roll of mostly very lovely coins.)

Here are photos of the two varieties:

Mexico - 1977 (Thin Date) 1 Peso

Mexico - 1977 (Thin Date) 1 Peso.jpg

Mexico - 1977 (Thick Date) 1 Peso

(Note: almost all of the coins in this roll exhibit the same type of improper alloy mix striations in color. A few of them have a nice die crack on the back of the obverse bust, but I didn't luck out and get one that turned into a die break/cud...)

Mexico - 1977 (Thick Date) 1 Peso.jpg

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    Jason Hoffpauir and mlov43 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Honestly I am not sure....heck I just discovered from you that there was a thin and a thick version of this coin!!! :bored:

4. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I also did not even know of the variety until I bought the roll and looked it up. Wish I had gotten a full roll of the thin dates, at least in the condition the rest of the roll is in lol...

5. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

There are a lot of varieties in the 70s/80s pesos, usually in whether or not the numbers are closed. I don't think most of them carry a premium though.

6. Katie Diaz

Katie Diaz New Member

I'm confused at why Mexican money would be worth less than our money when if you know about geology Mexico has a edited ton of gold

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2021
  7. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Mexico's metal wealth and strong preference for metal-backed coins is probably why they were one of the last countries to give up circulating silver coinage. Most of its history, Mexico's peso was pretty stable. There were two abrupt periods of inflation during the 1913 Revolution and World War II, and then a prolonged inflation in recent times. Graph copy.jpeg

8. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted