Mexicana Republica1880As centavo

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ashley H, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Ashley H

Ashley H New Member

I have a nice looking 1880as centavo I know AS means it was struck by Alamos mint dose anyone know the worth

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

You can look up many coins on world

Enter the country, date, and denomination in that order

I went ahead and looked it up for you. Depending on condition, it could be worth about $25.00.

Just remember, what something is "worth" is only what someone who wants it, is willing to pay for it.

4. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Your coin might be cleaned though. Usually these are very dark, almost black in color. Yours doesn't look right to me for having its original surface.

Hookman likes this.
  5. xlrcable

xlrcable Active Member

It looks cleaned to me too, not to mention scratched, but even in poor shape these large centavos are usually worth a little something when the mint mark is other than Mexico City. $25 isn’t a crazy estimate, even if it did come from a price guide ;)

Hookman likes this.
  6. Hookman

Welcome to Coin Talk !!

7. Hookman

$25 is the lowest NGC showed, at a grade of F15, I believe. This coin could go a little higher, even though it does look cleaned.
    The value quickly escalates into the hundreds. As pointed out, mint marks on old Mexican coins are important.

8. Ashley H

Ashley H New Member

Yes I seen this coin is scarce . the mint mark is as from the illegal Alamos mint in Mexico before it was shut down I have yet to find any with the As mint mark I did wipe the coin off with a cloth it used to be a dark color .

9. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Nothing you can do about it now, but collectors don't like their coins cleaned, and it reduces the value and the potential number of buyers. So if you have any more coins, don't clean them.

Draft saved Draft deleted