Mexican Type Set Collectors?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by J.T. Parker, Jun 1, 2020.

1. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Hello Group,
    Years ago I purchased the Dansco 'Mexican Type Set' book (1905-1970) from a local pawn shop for $220. I up-graded the set periodically when finances allowed.
    Hard times hit and had to sell, probably for a loss, but I've slept since then so no memory of the sale's amount remains.
    Recently, I have been considering doing a 'Mexican Type Set 2.0' & noticed that Dansco
    books are as rare as hen's teeth ,New anyway! I watched an empty (new) one just sell recently for over $200 on 'eBad'.
    There are a couple partial books being offered for auction presently & was wondering if there were any other CT-ers who have this same itch?
    Please advise & let's talk amongst ourselves,
    J.T.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

I love Mexican coins but it seems silly to spend that money on an empty album. I say buy the coins and store them some other way.

Maxfli and YoloBagels like this.
  4. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

I understand the frustration. I had all the coins to fill the Dansco 7220 before I was able to locate one. I found an unused one on a dealers clearance table for $10. It was marked down because someone had used a sharpie to mark it up. I jumped on it and created my own labels to cover up the marks. I still have it filled with the coins. I have not seen a newer version, 2.0, as you called it. I can fill that on also, as I have all the coins to current. What I did was create my own version in digital format. This way I can carry and show my collection using my smart phone. The nice thing about the digital album is I can insert photos of coins that are slabbed and simply change the photo if I upgrade a coin. I also have it in a blank "template" format so that I am able to quickly put one together for anyone using their photos. Not a good as a "hard" copy, but it adds to the enjoyment of displaying a collection. If you would like to see a copy, go to this link:
    https://issuu.com/mikelarson2/docs/mexico_type_set__1_

5. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

This right here. You don't need a Dansco Mexican Type Set album in order to assemble a Mexican Type Set. Why not put your money into coins instead of albums?

6. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

In my personal opinion, I see several possible avenues for reassembling a Mexican Type Set.

1. If you are deadset on a Dansco or Whitman type album, set up a bookmark and sort by new for the Coins and Paper Money Albums Category on eBay. From what I understand, Dansco rereleased the Mexico type album in a two-volume set sometime after the original printing.

2. Depending on your budget, you could try for a slabbed set of Mexican type coins. However, considering how common some denominations are, this might be more of a financial commitment than it is worth.

3. Satisfy the itch and start assembling that Type Set.

4. There is also a supplementary gold page that appears now and then on eBay. However, I'm not entirely sure as to what they bring, but assume that they bring roughly that of the 7070 gold page.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  7. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

Many Thanks to all members responding w/ their suggestions...or perhaps Muchas Gracias would be more apt.
    To 'Mike Larson' perhaps you misunderstood me. The (2.0) was just a silly way of stating that I was thinking about putting together my 2nd (same) type set, after having to sell my 1st. ( Beautiful https/doc presentation of your collection)
    To 'Bradley', Don't think my budget would stretch to putting together the coins needed for the supplementary Gold Page..Ha! (I was however able to complete the gold 50 peso 1921-1947 set TPG MS63-65 before the 'well ran dry'.)
    Stay Safe & Healthy, One & All,
    J.T.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted