Mexican Gold 10 Peso Coin

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bdunnse, Oct 2, 2013.

1. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Is there anyway to tell the difference between the 1959 10 peso gold coin that was actually minted in 1959 and the ones that were minted from 1961 to 1972 (but dated 1959)? My understanding is that the gold fineness and amount are the same, but was wondering if there was any difference in value due to other "features" (such as actual year of mintage) assuming there was a way to identify such differences.

According to this website...

typesets.wikidot.com/mexico:10-pesos-1905-1959

the mintage of coins in 1959 was 50,000 coins, but from 1961 to 1972 a total of 954,983 pieces were re-struck with the date 1959 (according to the reference "Michael, Thomas, et al, eds. Collecting World Coins Circulating Issues 1901-Present. 12th Edition. Krause Publications Wisconsin, pp 610, 2008", which I do not have access to).

I am using the 10 Peso coin as an example - the 2, 2.5, 5, 20, and 50 peso coin have a similar issue.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

I owned a few of the 2 and 2.5 peso coins at one time, and my understanding was that since you couldn't discern between the originals and restrikes, there was no distinction in value between them.

4. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Yeah, I haven't found anything yet saying they could be discerned, but I thought I would ping this community in addition to searching the web. Thanks for your reply.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

The fifties at least were dated earlier, but the got their dates frozen in 1947. All restrikes after that I do not believe you can tell the difference.

Draft saved Draft deleted