Mexican collection 1 step closer to complete

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Hiddendragon, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

Some of you know I've been working on completing a modern Mexican set (1905-present) for a few years now. There are a few stubborn coins from the past 30 years that don't appear to be special but are exceedingly hard to find. Slowly I've been chipping away, and I finally picked up one that I've been seeking for probably 5 years or so. This 1986 20 pesos doesn't have a high book value but this is the first time I've ever seen it for sale. I bid about eight time what I ended up paying for it, because I was determined not to let it get away. The last one I need now is the 1992 500 pesos. 1986 mexico 20 pesos.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Wow 30 years!!! At least it will be worth it when you finally complete it. Good luck on finding the last coin. :smuggin:

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

As for the last coin, good luck! I am sure than acquiring other coins will keep you busy between now and "then", whenever that will be. ;)

Christian

5. Hiddendragon

Yes, I have many other interests but this is one of the first sets that I set out to complete and it would be great to get this last coin. I need a few other coins still from earlier in the series but those are high value coins. These other few that I'm talking about are modern and should be cheap but are just impossible to find. I wasn't even sure they really existed.

chrisild likes this.
  6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Glad you got it!

spirityoda and Hiddendragon like this.
  7. chip

chip Novice collector

You are further along with your set than I am, I am still missing the 1915 Zapa centavo, and the 1935 50 centavo

8. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

I've got quite a few Mexico coins from the 1970's from when my dad went to there. He saved them all these years in a cigar box. If you're missing some in that time frame I can look and see if I have a match? They range from the smaller sized pesos to the large ones that look pretty cool. Here is one I'm hanging on to since it's an error :)

Mexican Un Peso error obverse 2.jpg Mexican Un Peso error reverse.jpg

mlov43 likes this.
  9. Hiddendragon

I might still need that 1915 too. I know I have both for either the 1 or 2 centavo, but I'm not positive which one. I need a few of the earlier 50 centavos too but they're kind of pricey and don't come up for sale that often. I know I need the 1908 and I think 1916. Plus one year (1918?) there's two sizes and it's hard to distinguish between them on eBay.

10. Hiddendragon

I think I'm good for the 70s now, though there are a few tough dates there. The 1973 1 centavo and the 1975 (I think) 10 pesos are hard to find, but I have them. There are a lot of errors like yours from that period too.

Jupiter88 likes this.
  11. Jupiter88

Jupiter88 "Chingalinga"

Maybe I'll dig out that cigar box and see if I have any of those tougher dates just for fun..He also had this collector type board of coins from Mexico. It's displayed on a triangle shaped cardboard and it was sealed in plastic. I took the plastic of so I could see them up close a while back. They range over all different years and some are darker so I had a hard type reading them. Anyway, just thought I'd share, thanks!

12. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

I wonder how you might consider presenting your collection? Would you consider an album approach?

Thanks for sharing, HD!

13. Hiddendragon

I have them all in 2x2s in binders. It's two full binders right now, so it's a lot of coins.

14. little b

little b Member

Attached Files:

15. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

Congratulations! Did you ever find the 2002 5 Centavos? Believe it or not, I still carry your want list for the 86 20 Peso, 92 500 pesos and the 2002 5 centavos with me whenever I go to a coin show. These are hard to find. I finally found a 1995 Mexico proof set but balked at the $100 price tag. Wish I bought it now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    mlov43 likes this.
  16. Hiddendragon

Thanks, I appreciate that. I did find the 2002 5 centavos. It was in a special "coins of Mexico" set from a seller in Germany. I still need the silver 1990s 50 pesos and two of the 20 pesos but it's more a matter of not wanting to spend the money than not being able to find them.

17. sonlarson

Glad you found it. I'll take it off my list. I have a 1993 Silver(bi-metallic) 20 Pesos and a 1995 50 Pesos in my type set. I haven't really been aggressive on my Mexico Collection lately. I just purchase a 2009 Mexico mint set since it has a lot of hard to find coins, it has both the Stainless steel and the Aluminum-bronze 10,20, and 50 Centavos .I finished my 20th Century type set. Found and filled a Dansco 7020 Album. I completed my 20 and 50 Bronze Centavo collection in UNC/BU. I thought about doing a sort of type set for the Revolutionary period, but I haven't figured out how I want to do it yet. Might go after a coin from each Mint. I sold off most of my basic world coins (just sold about 700). Working on selling off my US 20th Century type set. I completed it and lost interest. I'll sell the Dansco 7070 album at some point since it's starting to get empty. So sad, I had a lot of fun filling that one up. I am still adding to the World Silver Crowns/Bullion and to the World Mint/Proof sets.

18. Hiddendragon

I can't imagine selling mine right now. I know some day it will probably happen but after all the time I spend putting it together I can't just get rid of it.

19. sonlarson

Not so bad.I use the funds from selling the USA coins to pay for the world coins I still collect and am interested in. So far I am about even. Grandkids aren't interested in the coins anyway so may as well buy what I like.:)

Hiddendragon likes this.
  20. Hiddendragon

I understand that. I'm still younger so I still have a lot of collecting ahead of me. In the past I've gotten rid of other collections (like my stamps) and then later wished I had them back. Now I tend to just hold on to stuff just in case.

Draft saved Draft deleted