mexican coins and the best ones you've got

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kaosleeroy108, Jun 26, 2010.

1. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

who here collect mexican coins and currency??

i have a few coins

i say post some pics i like making a gallery

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Billyray

Billyray Junior Member

I have a few, but no good ones lol. Best is a 1975 20 centavos with a weird what i think is a doubled die. But I don't have the equipment yet to image it correctly.

4. chip

chip Novice collector

1829 1 real zacatecas mint, [​IMG]

5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I do and love them!

6. tmoneyeagles

tmoneyeagles Indian Buffalo Gatherer

Here are two that I have

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ok, I have not even taken pics of mine yet but I have these from a long time ago when I started collecting again. Well, it seems like a long time ago but it was really last year. :D

I love this Cuauhtemoc Cinco of mine, to me nobody can come close to this babe!! I love my Mexican coins, I need to take some pics tho!! :bigeyes:

Oh the pic of the Caballito coin is not mine, I have one and I haven't taken a pic of mine yet but this one looks really cool I use it until I can take a pic of mine. The truth is even if I take a pic of mine I will have a problem passing up the looks of this one!!! :D

8. fretboard

Here's a pic of a Mexican error coin and my new addition a, 1950 Cinco pesos!!

Attached Files:

Derick likes this.
  9. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Your 1910 Caballito is absolutely stunning. Would like to know more about the rider. Is that Libertas, what are the branches in her right hand and what is in her upraised left hand?

BTW, among my Mexican silver, my favorite is Mexico City mint colonial cob coin. A piece of eight [8-reales] circa: 1598-1617. It's old enough that the silver is tarnished to a deeply blackened tone. Therefore, I don't hesitate to hold it in my palm and delight in the feel of its heft, its tarnished metallic odor and admire how it survived the ravages of time. Being a hand-struck cob, it is a coin having starkly crude beauty. It's a keeper!

10. UTC

UTC Junior Member

My 1791 Spanish Colonial 8 Reales (in fine condition, I guess).

I'm still looking for an older 8 Reales with the twin globes. But they cost so much now......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. UTC

UTC Junior Member

And a 1890 8 Reales:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Derick likes this.
  12. Honolulu Dick

OK!!! That's a mighty fine looking 1791, Carlos the 4th coin. Have one that is much the same, although it is dated 1799 and is from the Potosi, Bolovia mint. Was on a quest to get a sample from each of the major mints ..... Mexico City, Lima and Potosi. For whatever the reason, early coins from the Potosi mint are a bit larger and shade heavier than those from MC and Lima.

Also, the 1890, "freedom cap' sunburst coin is a beauty. Have the same coin and what is curious is that the eagle is facing right. All my others, both modern and early nationhood, have the eagle facing left. Just a bit of uncalled for trivia. Trusting no one takes offense.

13. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

This is one of the Mexico 1898 Pesos restruck in 1949 at the Mexico City Mint.

[​IMG]

I have updated my article on these coins and put it on my website under
    "Mexico 1898 Peso".

:)

Derick likes this.
  14. Honolulu Dick

Thanks to the ever-so-trusty Google, I found the BrianRxm.com website featuring the Mexico 1898 Peso article. For those interested in Mexican silver or the history thereof, this is one informative read. The research is quite extensive, making for one worthwhile history lesson. Thanks for the heads-up on this one. Your contribution is commendable!

15. 50cent

50cent What A steal

i got bull crap mexican coins

16. chip

chip Novice collector

I just took some more photos, I will post them after I stick some of them in my album.

17. acanthite

acanthite ALIIS DIVES

Here are some lower denomination coins I have, showing different designs:

1903 10 centavos, Culiacan mint, assayer V
    [​IMG]

1851 1/2 reale, Mexico City, assayers GC
    [​IMG]

1883 1 centavo, Cu-Ni
    [​IMG]

18. fretboard

Check out the toning on my 5 Centavos, these are the sellers pics! I bought these two long ago!!

Attached Files:

19. chip

chip Novice collector

Here is a mexican medal, two ounces Zapata

[​IMG]

20. KennyMac

KennyMac 82nd Airborne Division

Ok....let me try this again....yeah, I seriously need to work on my photography skills.

Attached Files:

21. ksparrow

ksparrow Coin Hoarder Supporter

I just have a couple of modern Mexican coins, I think some of the designs are really cool:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Derick likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted