Mexican 4 real coin from Whydah shipwreck

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by mgsm, Nov 27, 2010.

1. mgsm

mgsm New Member

I have a framed coin with a COA fromt the Whydah shipwreck.

The COA has the following information:

Artifact Number: 61121
    Denomination: 4 REAL
    Mint: Mexico
    Date: Not visible
    Weight: 12.55g

The ship wrecked in 1717, so the coin must be dated before then. The treasure has been kept together except for a few pieces given as gifts to contributors, etc. The museum in Cape Cod has verified this is a genuine coin and offered to purchase it from us.

I am having trouble with the uploader and cannot get my pictures to attach.

I would like to know if anyone knows what this coin could be worth.

Thank you.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USMoneylover

USMoneylover Active Member

If you are having a difficult time with the upload you can create a free account on Photobucket.com and upload your pictures there...after that it is as simple as directing us to the link.

4. mgsm

mgsm New Member

5. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

The cob looks to be from a beach wreck, from the smoothness of its edges. It's hard to read the COA even with it enlarged. I do a web search ie google etc. see what you can find . 2 and 4 reales are harder to find as most spanish cobs were 8 reales. Cobs were then cut into the amount you spent. thus pieces of 8. Example if you had a meal and drink at a tavern and your bill was 5 reales the coin was cut into the amount of silver that you owed. Most cobs that were 8's I believe were around 27 g. heres a link for you to look at http://www.coinsite.com/content/faq/8RealesMilledPillar.asp & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spanish_real There is tons of stuff you can find just goggle it Have fun Sam

6. Eire73

Eire73 Tucan Sam

7. mgsm

mgsm New Member

Thanks Sam. I've searched for hours for information about the value of this coin, but still have nothing. Because the treasure has been largely kept together and I have not found any in auctions or previously sold, I cannot find a value to the coin. I know the coin is authentic, I have been told so by the Whydah museum. I'm just curious as to what this coin could possibly be worth, partially for insurance purposes, partially to know whether I should send it back to the museum. I'm thinking about taking it to an appraiser, anyone know a good one in the DC metro area? Anything else anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

If you can post a picture of the coin, both sides, I can give an approximate value. But I can do nothing without a picture.

9. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You can post a pic using photobucket.com :)

10. Mark OhReallyUs

Mark OhReallyUs New Member

Hello all,
    I know I'm coming up somewhat late to this thread, but I've been searching for coins from the whydah wreck for some time, and haven't had any luck. Does anybody know of any reputable dealers who deal in these coins? Any information would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

Mark

11. Bellamy Cay

Bellamy Cay New Member

Two 8-Reale coins from the Whydah sold at auction over the past couple of years at $8K and $10K, and another one is up for auction on October 30th 2013, item #500 in the second session at http://auction.sedwickcoins.com/TREASURE-WORLD-U-S-COIN-AUCTION-14_as29249_p3?ps=100. It is not known who the sellers are, but Barry Clifford who recovered the Whydah artifacts does not sell anything from the Whydah. Any coins from the Whydah that have been given as gifts will include a certificate and are not meant for sale, and it is utterly unethical of anyone to put these up for sale knowing full well that Clifford does not sell them and that they were not given as awards but were given out of gratefulness as a personal thank you to those whom he believed were honest participants in his expeditions. It would have been better that the coins were returned to Clifford if the owners did not want them; instead they or their heirs spit on his generosity. I am one of the owners of a certified Whydah artifact, given by Barry Clifford; and I cannot imagine a bigger insult than selling it. The avarice and greed of those who would sell these priceless antiquities is astounding. I don't understand how they think that they are entitled to make any money from it; they obviously have no respect for anyone or anything. It's disgusting. If you own a Whydah artifact and you have placed a monetary, rather than historical value, on it, you don't deserve it; however, if you are insistent on finding a value, I recommend contacting an appraisal organization, such as Skinner Inc, for an INSURANCE value. And this way if you are an honest person and only want to know the value for preservation's sake, you can insure it.

12. Bellamy Cay

Bellamy Cay New Member

13. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

Why would you bump a three year old thread for that.

14. Bellamy Cay

Bellamy Cay New Member

Oh, I'm sorry your majesty. I wasn't aware that it disturbed you if we post a reply to older thread.

Ok, everyone, listen up, Blissskr has a problem with us posting on older threads, so every kiss his butt and don't do it any more. We don't want to offend his delicate nature.

Whatever.

15. Whydah4REAL

Whydah4REAL New Member

I have a 4 REAL certified and signed Whydah coin if anyone is interested. It is framed and signed by Barry Clifford. I can provide additional details and pictures to anyone who is interested.

16. treasuresong

treasuresong New Member

The Whydah coins that I have seen come to market are from the heirs of the original investors of the Whydah Project. Although Barry Clifford does not sell the coins of the Whydah, these coins were given to investors and they OR their heirs can do what they want with them. Some have wanted to donate them back to the museum and others choose to sell them. The last time I checked, the USA is not the USSR or Cuba where we are told what to do with ones own property. If you want, and have passion for shipwrecks, hold on to the coin and enjoy! If you have no interest in it, sell it ! More power to you. If one comes up for auction, the Whydah expedition most certainly has the funds to buy it back if they so choose. Have fun collecting and enjoy your passions !

Insider likes this.
  17. lattam

lattam New Member

Are you looking to sell it?

18. noname

noname Well-Known Member

you seem much more offended then blissskr ever was.

19. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thanks for providing the useful information. Best opinion I read today! Unfortunately, IMO, your post took a "wrong turn."

Here is a gift but not really as you :greedy: cannot do with it what you wish. :facepalm: You can see I enjoy it when educated do-gooders' try to police the rest of us about how to behave and "correctness."

BTW, the only thing that makes that coin worth much of "anything" at all is the paperwork & provenance. If it belonged to me, I'd send the coin back to the museum!*

*:smuggrin: Then I would buy a much nicer example WITH A DATE and frame it with the paperwork! :shame: Now THAT'S what I call a real artifact. :jawdrop::D

Draft saved Draft deleted