Metal detectors

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by asimakis karachalios, May 30, 2016.

1. Can you find ancient coins in america with a metal detector?Here in Greece there are full of them in the ground but the law does not allow to look for.They capture you if you try to.

paddyman98, Mikey Zee and Pellinore like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nothing Ancient here. But you can medal detect for US Civil War, Revolutionary War, and Indian artifacts. And keep what you find in most cases.

asimakis karachalios likes this.
  4. I live 15 klm far from ancient olympia the place that took place for first time olympic games if you know.There are plenty of ancient coins in the ground but they dont allow you to dig.They want them for museum.Here in greece you cannot have your own ancient collection without state permission.

paddyman98, serafino and Mikey Zee like this.
  5. Bing

Yes. Most of us who collect Ancient coins are very aware of the antiquities laws around the globe, especially places like Greece. When I see coins for sale from Greece, I pass them over. Either they are fakes, or someone is breaking the law.

6. You will never see a greek that sells ancient coins in a coins site or in ebay.If he does be sure they are fake.There are about 22000 different ancient greek coins including greek provincials like antiocheia,alexandreia,egypt,india,bactrian

7. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

I also do a lot of metal detecting lately and am always searching for older sites. Most of the time I come up with clad coinage. But last year I found a very heavy 18K bracelet. I wanted to ask you, what machines do you use? I have a Blisstool and a Whites DFX.

9. Hello in my opinion the best metal detectors are garrett.I use them at the beach.I find a lot of gold chains

10. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IMO, the laws are stupid. True, we do not want everyone digging up everything but whenever I hear you cannot dig a battlefield due to history, I think of all the truly historical stuff rotting away that should be preserved.

In an ideal world, sites all over the world would be open for PROPER hunting/mapping by trained amateurs who could recover whatever and restore the dig site. Entire histories/battles have been changed by evidence found in the ground.

11. Bing

I doubt you'll get any arguments from this crowd.

Jwt708 and Mikey Zee like this.
  12. Y
    Yes you have right.I think the same.Here in greece we have serious problem with law.If they see you dig without permission they arrest you.If you have permission you cannot dig near ancient places but all greece is an ancient place.So you never take permission .

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Welcome @asimakis karachalios ......

Is obtaining 'State' permission for collecting ancients difficult?

I can understand the need for some governmental involvement to properly evaluate hoard discoveries but it seems the whole thing has gotten out of control...

asimakis karachalios and paschka like this.
  14. New Windsor Bill

New Windsor Bill Well-Known Member

Yes Garrett makes a great detector. But if you ever wanted to find deep coins and artifacts the Blisstool blows them all away. I took a silver half dollar and buried it about 20 inches down and the Blisstool picked it up first pass whereas the Whites and my top of the line Garrett couldn't even find it.

serafino likes this.
  15. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

There's nothing ancient in the US to find, at least nothing metal. You can however find ancient stone arrowheads in certain parts of the US.

I used a metal detector in my backyard when i used to live in Jacksonville, Florida, and I found an old buffalo nickel and a Barber Quarter, along with a few rusted out metal pen holders and things like that. But then again, the property was in a neighborhood that dated back to the 1890's.

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

First welcome, asimakis, to CoinTalk. I never realized (never really thought about it) that metal detecting would be restricted in Greece! Is it restricted in many other countries I wonder? Seems like in England I see Roman coins on sale on e-bay found metal detecting in England. Finally, I have heard that in the USA, Roman coins have been found on beaches in the Carolinas (N and S).

17. Bing

Really? I find this hard to fathom.

red_spork likes this.
  18. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Were Roman coins used in Greece during the Roman rule or did Greece continue to use their own coins

asimakis karachalios and paschka like this.
  19. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Naw, I live here. I have just found seashells and sharks teeth. That is all. I keep wanting to find a bag of pirate's gold, but by then, I have had too many beers. :D

I betcha you can find Roman coins on the Kentucky side of the Ohio... :)

BTW @Bing, the beaches in NC are much better'n FL. :D

Mikey Zee, paschka and Mojavedave like this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I gave my wife a nice Garret for Xmas one year... she has yet to use it... doah!

21. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Don't feel bad, I gave my wife a new shovel for Christmas and same thing, never used :)

Draft saved Draft deleted