Metal Detectors

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by jterry85, Nov 20, 2010.

1. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

I was just curious if anyone here uses metal detectors to help in their search for coins? Or perhaps this is viewed unfavorably in the community?

Joe

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevo

Kevo Junior Member

I detect whenever i get a chance, and although i have found no true treasures, i have found some nice coins. You WILL find alot of clad an pull tabs. I have found some silver, and plenty of wheats, some in nice condition. Just be sure not to harshly clean your finds. Some of the best hoards of coins have been found by detectorists, mainly in the U.K.

4. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

I'm currently in Germany so I would need to research the rules about it but I thought I might be in a good location for it.

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

A good rule of thumb, anywhere allot of people had gathered at one time and that are
    Know gone!

6. ConfederateHalf

ConfederateHalf Stars & Bars Forever

When I was a young lad, (about 10 years old), I too thought that metal detecting would be a neat way to supplement my coin colleting hobby, so I bought a metal detector and went at it. I never found any silver or gold, (thought many people do...), but I did find a lot of modern coins in public places like local parks, schoolyards, etc. I eventually sold my metal detector, though, due to the frustration I had with trying to find new places where I could *legally* search for coins. The biggest problem with the who metal detecting hobby is the need to get permission to search other people's property. As you might imagine, most public properties have been "searched out" and all of the old, valuable, cool stuff is pretty much gone by now. This leaves only private property as a source of potentially "virgin" unsearched terrain to be explored. The rub comes in getting property owners to cooperate. Most have no desire to have strangers poking around their places and digging in their lawns. Even those that are willing to let you search may prove to be a thorn in your side in the event that you find anything of substantial value. It is a well-established principle of property law that anything that is in the ground is considered an "attachment" to the property and thus is also the property of the landowner. What this means is that unless you have an agreement in writing stating that you may keep what you find, or that you and the property owner have agreed to split the procedes of any finds, you could find yourself in the unenviable position of finding a valuable coin or hoard only to have to give it over to the property owner - possibly after a contentious court battle. I wasn't interested in having to fight with properly owners over good finds on their land, so I gave up on metal detecting.

7. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

Fingers crossed for one for Christmas! Been sending copies of ads anonymously and dropping hints to family for a few mos. :) I would love to add that aspect of the hobby to my weekends!

8. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

I had one as a kid, a cheap model, and never found anything. I'm looking to get one again.

9. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

See if you can find a club in the area that you are located in :D Dont try detecting o known historical sites Allways ask permission of landowners and come to a agreement about dividing the spoils :D and of course good hunting :thumb:

10. jterry85

jterry85 New Member

Thanks! I'm hoping to get an Garrett ACE 250 for Christmas, I'm really excited about it. I'm hoping it won't be too much of a challenge to find places around here in Germany without speaking German. I'm going to take German classes for free here thanks to the Army but they don't start til Jan.

11. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Got the Ace 350 so let's see what happens.

12. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

First run with it just junk/trash finds!

13. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Posted my only keeper so far in "metal detector finds?"

May go tomorrow.

14. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

If you live near a beach that is an ideal spot for detecting.
    Just after a storm
    you will see a line of stones near the waters edge, thats heavy stuff that has been tossed out of the sea.
    That is also where heavy metals come ashore, gold and silver from ship wrecks.

Below are some 18th century coppers I found nearby.

IMG_6301.jpg IMG_6299.jpg

15. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Nice coin finds. I live about 2 hours from beach with traffic, but going on a cruise this summer to Bahamas so will see. I'm waiting on info from the Bahamas if metal detecting is ok. Already got ok from cruise line.

16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Don`t know about other countries detecting laws and treasure trove laws but I can tell you it is Illegal in the whole of Greece.

17. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Shame as I know there are great things to find there!

18. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Wow, I go on cruises every once in awhile with my parents. I'll have to check that out if I go with them again. That could be intresting considering all of the ships that have sunk in the Carribean.

19. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Checkout friendlymetaldetecting.com to see the stuff people have found on cruises. Just be sure to check local laws before doing so.

20. elijahhenry10

elijahhenry10 New Member

Yeah, I'm sure some people would also be pretty mad when they are lying on a privae beach trying to snooze when all they keep hearing is annoying beeps:)

21. DionHurst

DionHurst Member

Where are your headphones?

Draft saved Draft deleted